Shy Bird (Kendall Square)

The whole rotisserie chicken in Shy Bird’s Combo Meal for 2 was the size of a Cornish game hen and the overall meal was not enough for 2 adults. Why am I trying to go here when I can get a chicken that tastes better (also with a side and salad) and will feed 2+ people at Machu Chicken for the same price?

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder for Machu Chicken.

Have you ever ordered the chicken to go from Branch Line? That is plenty for two+. I would have thought Shy Bird’s dinner would be the same.

3 Likes

Ditto, every time I go there I wonder why I don’t go more often.

3 Likes

I have only been to Branch Line once and that was several years ago. I recall being able to order a half or whole bird, with the whole bird being plenty to share (albeit pricey). Based on that I would say that these are not the same birds (though we had the food delivered so maybe we got the runt). Cooking and seasoning were similar from what I remember.

2 Likes

Funny, I just stated on a different thread that I was having trouble getting traction due to life schtuff, including on my beloved GBA thread.

Shy Bird was a place B and I tried recently on one of our weekday hooky lunches when both of us were near Kendall Sq. Big bold storefront gave way to a format that mirrors Eventide Fenway and is geared towards take-out lunch. We, of course, opted for the small tidy bar side after some confusion (“where’s the booze?”). We had a mixed bag. We had to get the spring pea salad to compare to Branchline’s OG (am I being relevant and cool?). It was a touch below Branchline’s, simply because it was a tiny bit overdressed, but we still love that salad. And the portion seemed larger than Branchline’s. B had the grilled shrimp salad (because he can never have too much salad). Underwhelming. Pallid “greens,” just ok shrimp and a paltry portion to boot. On the other hand, my cauliflower sandwich was really good. I gave poor B half of it and he concurred - we would order that again.

I used to work down the block from Shy Bird. I wouldn’t say no to a crisp glass or 2 of white, pea salad, and that cauliflower sandwich again. Good fries, too.

6 Likes

B loved that place when we lived in Somerville (Teele Sq). I hope Union Sq traffic woes aren’t affecting their business.

2 Likes

Yes, I do worry for all the businesses in that area, all the more reason I need to go and support them! Maybe combined with a little School of Honk action, they mostly practice around the corner at the Argenziano School.

2 Likes

We tried the cauliflower as our side. It was indeed very tasty. However my lactose intolerant DC wasn’t so thrilled to find cheese in addition to the shallot vinaigrette listed on the menu.

2 Likes

sounds great. We like Branch Line and were hoping Shy Bird would be as good since it’s so much closer (we try to get home to our late teen kid after 2 hours). We always loved that snap pea salad at BL except for the time it was way over salted, and the crisp white/rosé wine, and the iggys bread. We’ll probably try it some time soon. Thanks for the report.

2 Likes

Union Sq traffic/construction got better for a while and now worse again. I’d think all the businesses are suffering because it has gone on for so long and continues and will continue. There are still lots of people at the Sat. morning farmers market, however. We haven’t tried Bow Market yet because of the parking problems. I have 3 joint replacements and taking the bus unfortunately doesn’t work for me. We’d go to Juliet more often if it were easier, also Celeste. But…we do need to return to Machu Chicken so thanks for the reminder. The last time we went I ordered a glass of red wine that tasted as if it had been opened and recorked for several years. I’d love a crisp white there!

3 Likes