Shrimp n Stuff Galveston Gumbo

I just read the article and it is a nice read as you say but I’d never eat it over fresh blue crab, we’re lucky to have it available.

They should win today but we will see. It is raining pretty good here so the game will be interesting. I am probably 35 miles away and it is coming down here. Barkley should be getting the ball a lot I think.

As for food, check out the chili thread. I have some cool stuff I got last night from Mexico!

1 Like

True. Blueclaw meat is way too good to be stuffed into a sushi roll. I do like the spider rolls where they put in whole fried soft shells though. I’m not sure if that is a thing down there.

1 Like

Saw it. They look a lot like the pequin peppers the Wifeacita grows, hot little suckers.

Here’s a little snippet from a Coast Monthly gumbo article two years ago. I see no reason to doubt the man. Give the people what they want I guess. If he started using real crab after all this time the regulars would probably complain that it didn’t taste right.:grinning:

Shrimp ‘N Stuff

Why mess with a good thing? Shrimp ‘N Stuff offers a roux-based seafood gumbo that’s made from an old recipe handed down for the past 40 years from original owners. “We’ve never deviated from it,” said Jeff Antonelli, who a few years back bought Shrimp ‘N Stuff from Jim Bennett, who opened the original Avenue O location in 1976. Antonelli doubled the gumbo pleasure when he opened the downtown island Shrimp ‘N Stuff in 2014. The gumbo has old Louisiana and Mississippi influences. “It’s great stuff, we make it fresh, every day.”

3901 Ave. O, Galveston

2 Likes

I don’t doubt him either. My take on crab in gumbo is that the crab is overwhelmed by the seasonings, maybe the bogus stuff stands up better.

1 Like

Well I thought the Giants had this game but I was wrong.

How’s the crabbing going down there?

We crab off piers and the shore so it’s over this time of year with the drop in water temps and won’t get good until May with June being the best month.

The commercial guys use what are called pots, baited wire mesh traps that allow the crabs to swim in but not out. It’s slow with most of the crabs buried in the mud but they have venture out every now and then and feed although their metabolism is much lower.

Crabbers don’t go out as much due to weather, we had gale warnings last week.

I can buy live crabs at a couple of Korean grocers nearby, H Mart and 99 Ranch.

I live in a crazy diverse neighborhood, within a VERY small radius we have a little Korea Town, Argentine, Thai, Mandarin, Tex-Mex, Mex-Mex, Mexican seafood, taquerias/carnicerias and taco trucks on virtually every corner high end steaks and Italian all mixed in with crummy apartments around the corner from million dollar homes. I must be leaving something out.

Want goat? We got it.