Shout out for Centre Street Cafe in JP

This is one of our regular places to go with friends. The food seems to get better and better, and portions larger than when they opened. (Early on, portion size was criticized due to the price point.)

On a recent visit, I had their version of cacio e pepe with escarole, lemon oil and bread crumbs - a delicious and hearty vegetarian dish. Other entrees ordered by dining companions: seafood with squid ink pasta and roasted head-on shrimp. All topped off with a wine special of a spicy, effervescent Barbaresco. There was lots of moaning at our table! No room for dessert, but hopefully they’ll bring back the chocolate budino this winter.

The one downer was an appetizer of tempura oysters - three tiny oysters for $9. Delicious, but really skimpy. Place is small and fills up fast on weekends. Unlike the older incarnation of the Centre Street Café, they do take reservations.

My husband and I had brunch here yesterday. We come here every few weeks on Saturday mornings and are always happy with our meals. I usually get the Eggs Benedicta, which includes greens (seems to be nicely seasoned spinach) and warmed prosciutto (although the menu says it is mortadella so I could be wrong.) Very good hollandaise, and a delicious house-made English muffin. Yesterday, my husband got the biscuit with sausage gravy and eggs and really enjoyed it. He often gets the Huevos Rancheros or the special pancake of the day and is happy. We usually split an order of simply-fried potatoes and decent coffee that is refilled often. It’s one of our favorite simple brunches in the city, and it’s nice that they open at 9:30 for those of us who are up and out early on a Saturday.

We haven’t made it there for dinner but will do so soon.