Should have left it in the past.

Kraft Mac and Cheese. Years ago I was craving it and bought a box. Oh my! I have my share of processed foods I like but this is no longer one of them.

Yes, yes and yes.

1 Like

I swear all these things were nice when we were kids. I loved Heinz spaghetti as a kid but now itā€™s watery. Campbells soups are bleh, McDā€™s fish is tasteless. What happened? Is it us or did they change the recipes?

Quite possiblyā€¦ a combination of both.

1 Like

Yes, McDā€™s probably used the cheap and commonly available Atlantic codfish for their sandwiches in the 60s and 70s (the last time Iā€™d enjoyed them), but that fishery has collapsed and theyā€™re probably using blander whitefish like tilapia, which is still cheap. But even then it couldnā€™t compare with Momā€™s fish grilled with Greek herbs and lemon, and after years of eating fresh Pacific salmon, halibut and black cod, the mass-produced product just doesnā€™t hold up. Same with home-made sauces from fresh or canned-whole tomatoes, nice and thick and fruity and complex compared with whatā€™s used in canned spaghetti (or even commercial spaghetti sauces, compared with what you could throw together in 15 minutes with canned whole fruit and fresh aromatics and herbs). We have lots more experience now than we did then, naturally.

1 Like

Having been on an off-and-on kick of recreating some of my momā€™s lunch favorites, necessarily cheap because we were pretty poor, Iā€™ve found they taste pretty much now as then, although itā€™s been around sixty years since I last had them. That does not mean that I like them as well, but Iā€™ve noticed that despite a greatly diminished sense of smell my taste memory is really quite accurate. My tolerance for sweetness and saltiness has diminished a little, so when I deliberately made a very small batch of Squaw Corn (fried cubed Spam mixed into eggs and cream-style corn scrambled together) it was because I knew how jaw-aching sweet and salty it would be.

I never liked canned pasta except for ravioli, and I know better than to try any now, and two of our favorite Campbellā€™s soups ā€“ Pepper Pot and Scotch Broth ā€“ are either NLA or cheapened beyond recognition (tiny little dots of tripe in the former, beef instead of mutton in the latter). And while Dinty Moore Beef Stew is every bit as disappointing as it was 65 years ago, canned corned beef hash is exactly as it was then, and by golly I love it. Yes, it still tastes canned, but weirdly enough thatā€™s part of the charm. You just have to cook it until itā€™s crusty ā€¦ and fried eggs are required.

1 Like

Sorry, but Campbellā€™s chicken noodle soup is my go-to when I donā€™t feel well. Made with milk instead of water. I carry it with me on international trips :slight_smile:

My Father was under the weather and I asked him what he felt like eating. He said corned beef hash. I started making a list for the store. One of the items was a corned brisket. I planned on making REAL corned beef hash. He saw that and immediately said ā€œThe canned kindā€ā€¦

There was no talking him out of that canned ā€¦stuff. With eggsā€¦:blush:

3 Likes

I generally like both kinds ā€“ last time I made it was about the best Iā€™d ever had, and Mrs. O (not yet vegetarian) exclaimed about it too. However, thereā€™s a popular diner in Culver City that offers both their homemade and canned, at about a $2 price difference. The homemade has shredded carrot in it and a strangely unbeefy flavor, so I decided to save that $2 next time!

I do understand being unwell and wanting familiar comfort grub. The blue-box mac and ā€œcheeseā€ that was called Kraft Dinner back when (and Iā€™m told still is in Canada), Campbellā€™s Cream of Tomato soup and an American-cheese grilled sandwich, tuna-noodle casserole made with the cheapest canned tuna (in oil!!) and Campbellā€™s Cream of Mushroom ā€¦ thanks, Mom! All better now.

2 Likes

Spam doesnā€™t taste as good as it did when I was a kid. I have a great taste/palate memory, and the recipe/spicing is different.

McDonaldā€™s uses wild caught Alaskan Pollack.

1 Like

Have they always, though? Atlantic cod was dirt cheap and plentiful 50 years ago.

try finding oneā€™s childhood scrappleā€¦ Iā€™ve bought/fried/tasted every Amish shop in 25 miles. no joy.

Guess Iā€™m lucky, I grew up eating Habbersett. Taste just as good today.

1 Like

I just recently bought that at Costco.