Short visit with friends on the Upper West Side

Sorry, semi-joke, but I was vaguely curious. Your response and that of @ninkat answer me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sherry Herring (smoked fish, sandwiches, etc.) and Leyla (Turkish) are both excellent and unique spots.

1 Like

no one has mentioned chick chick, I couldn’t convince my better half to visit for dinner but its gernerally played to good reviews.

dave, have you tried the Hunan dishes at Happy Hot Hunan? We orderd delivery during the pandemic, thought the hunan side of the menu was good.

@leg Just found out the address of where we’ll be staying… Riverside Blvd and 71st so we’ll be 5 minutes from your friends’ place. We’re very excited (although Spring Onion is more excited about the museums and Statue of Liberty, which he has specifically requested; the last time I went, I must’ve been his age, 8). The food research begins in earnest now!

1 Like

@digga - if I know your spring onion, don’t sleep on Gray’s Papaya on 72nd/Broadway-Amsterdam for hotdogs and fruit drinks.

2 Likes

Happy Hot Hunan? Haven’t been in some time. I liked the smoked pork, but you’d find it fatty.

2 Likes

i like that dish, I did find it fatty but firmer than braised pork. actually, one of my favorite dishes at SriPraPhai is their crispy pork belly with chili, garlic and basil leaves. I guess it’s a texture thing.

1 Like

Gelatinous is unappealing?

1 Like

UES (unless there’s a new location)

That is like the first place on the list. :joy: I’m just glad that they are still hanging on.

1 Like

I’m not seeing the hotdog going extinct in NYC anytime soon. 3 dogs and a large juice for 10 bucks! It’s comforting for me to see all the soldiers lined up on that griddle.

Zabars used to give free samples - maybe a sliver of kosher hard salami or regular kosher salami (hotdog in other form) would get his juices going too - they get mine going!

Have fun!

1 Like

I don’t have time to look right now, but I thought there were reports that Gray’s was closing outlets all over the city. Maybe I’m thinking of Papaya King?

I don’t know. I hope not. It’s not an area of my research. They sell a lot of dogs.

Yes, @digga, you might have been thinking of Papaya King, which today has a single location on the Upper East Side. It’s single-story home on the northwest corner of Third Ave. and 86th St. has been slated for demolition, and likely high-rise development, since this past summer, but no closing date has been set.

But you might also have been thinking of Gray’s Papaya, which had a second, Midtown, location from 2017 until 2020, when it closed during the pandemic. Previously Gray’s had a couple of other locations in the city, too, but today only the “famous hot doggery” at Broadway and 72nd St. remains open. Shown below, from years back: a “recession special.”

3 Likes

“Papaya King”, “Gray’s Papaya”, “Gray’s”… only 3? Just be glad no one has (yet) asked about “Ray’s” pizza :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

youu’re right, my bad

Zabar’s still gives free samples of certain products. Lately, to the right of the fish counter there’s been a person handing out samples of either smoked mussels or Italian ham.

2 Likes

We are West Coasters these days but venture to NYC regularly to see children/grandchildren while catching up on the City’s many cultural and culinary pleasures (and yes, there is only one “City”). We always stay on the Upper West Side (typically at the excellent Wallace Hotel) so that upon our departure we can fill several suitcases with food from Zabar’s and Citarella (a practice that allows us to fill our refrigerator and/or freezer in Seattle with the world’s best veal and lamb chops (Citarella) and a vast amount of smoked fish and other delicacies (from Zabar’s)). I am happy to echo others who have replied that Absolute Bagels arguably makes the best bagels in NYC. I would also second the recommendations here that Bar Boulud is an excellent choice for simple French food, especially if you need to plan an early dinner before attending opera or an concert across the street at Lincoln Center. I would add a strong endorsement for the Manhattan Diner at Broadway and 95th Street. Best old fashioned coffee shop breakfasts on the UWS – and we have tried dozens of such places.

Beyond that, we head by subway or cab for other neighborhoods, particularly the East and West Village, Soho, etc. for serious meals.

One last suggestion. Consider taking a short cab or Uber ride to Riverdale for lunch at Liebman’s Deli (http://liebmansdeli.com/). After the demise of so many great Jewish delicatessens, it preserves the tradition – wonderful pastrami, matzoh ball soup, etc., etc.

4 Likes

as usual, you’ve found the perfect word, gelatinous and yes, when it comes to pork fat, just doesn’t work for me. I was up at costco in harlem today, they had beautiful, well-priced pork belly, have been thinking about trying my hand at siu yuk. Maybe my new year’s resolution this year will be to eat more pork belly :slight_smile:

1 Like