Short Kuala Lumpur Trip Report

I was in Kuala Lumpur for a few days last month for my cousin’s wedding. Took my 2 kids with me (ages 10 and 12), who are also avid foodies. Lots of eating, drinking and partying were involved over the course of our 8 day trip. Here’s some highlights from the eating part of my trip. We did a lot of eating, but most of it was catered at home or at the various wedding events.

En route to KL, we had a 3 hour layover in Hong Kong, so of course, we used that time to find food. Ended up at Tasty Congee & Noodle Wantun Shop, in the food court. My 12yo son insisted on shrimp wonton noodles, and we did an order of the char siu bao on the side. The noodles were well cooked, and the shrimp inside the wontons were fat and had a nice bite to them. The bao were also nice, and had a good amount of filling. Nice start to our vacation!

Day 1: Wantan Mee is one of my favorites, and my aunt knew I was dying to get some, so we all went out to the neighborhood hawker stalls to get some dinner. I got my wantan mee, which hit the spot (I took the picture before the wantans arrived) and also got a couple plates of fried mee (extra pedas!) to share amongst the table. My kids were loving the fried mee and also some fried wontons that my cousin ordered for them.

Man grilling satay:

Day 2: Had lunch at Nando’s in Sungei Wang Plaza (Bukit Bintang) as we don’t have Nando’s here and my brother and I wanted to try it. Ordered the family meal for 6 adults and 4 kids and it was a perfect size (with a salad for my non-chicken eating daughter). Chicken was good, sides were OK. The spicy fries were really good.

Mid shopping in Little India (last minute wedding shopping and also personal shopping), we stopped for teh tarik and kopi at a no-sign shop to help boost our energy. Had vadas with coconut chutney on the side and a couple of curry puffs (which got eaten before I could take a picture!).

Dinner that night with the family at Brickfields. Went to Sri Paandi restaurant for banana leaf South Indian food. (knocked off another item from my “things to eat this trip” list). not pictured is the crab curry, which arrived afterwards.Left to right: Chicken curry, cabbage and carrots, pumpkin, and lentils with drumstick.

The next day, we decided to hit up the malls for a few hours. Started at Sungei Wang Plaza, walked over to Lot 10 Hutong for lunch, and then continued on to Pavilion. Got the fried kway tiao from Penang Famoung Fried Kway Tiao, and also got Hokkien Mee and Loh Mee from Kim Lian Kee. Both places were busy. The wait at Kim Lian Kee was a good 20 minutes just to order. Prices were higher than at the hawker stalls, but that’s to be expected. Thoroughly enjoyed all the food, although we didn’t realize until halfway through that they had forgotten to add the prawns to the Loh Mee…

That night, we headed over to the neighborhood pasar malam (night market) to walk around and eat. Got one of my favorites – apam balik, or peanut pancake. A spongy pancake filled with ground peanuts and a bit of cream corn. Couldn’t even wait to get home to eat it – we ate it piping hot before getting into the car! Also found another one of my old-school favorites, tutu cakes! Those got eaten as we walked around. Brought back old childhood memories!

More cousins rolled into town for the wedding, so the late night 1am-2am suppers started. Our go-to place is always Ameer Ehsan Restoran Nasi Kandar on Desa Pandan. Teh Tarik, Kopi C (mine, nice and strong!), Ais Limau (iced lime drink) , followed by my go-to mee goreng… the others had the roti canai kandar, or roti with different gravies to eat it with (not pictured), and Maggi goreng (fried Maggi noodles)

Had my cousin’s Hen’s night at Bubba Gumps at Sunway Pyramid. I wasn’t too keen on eating Western food, but I didn’t have a choice. :wink: Went with the Drunken Shrimp (nonalcoholic) with Chicken Sausage and mashed potatoes. It was fine for what it was. The place was packed on a Wednesday night, which I found a bit surprising, but then realized most of the guests were tourists.

The wedding brought more delicious foods, sweets and snacks, followed by 2am suppers almost every night at Ameer Ehsan’s. Lots of various indian foods like dal, sambhar, chicken varuval, thosai, etc. Here’s a sample of one dinner – dal, rice, cabbage, tofu sambal, malay style achaar, and chicken.

Had other things here and there like satay, nasi goreng, pork ribs, ais kachang, chendol, etc but didn’t get pictures of everything. Overall, a great trip and got all my favorite foods in too! Hoping to make it back next year for more fun.

4 Likes

You’ve tried some of the best stuff in KL! That Penang fried kway teow place serves the most authentic version I’ve tried in KL in the past 5 years.

1 Like