Shore Fresh Seafood and Market, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Yep. That’s what I heard. Road trip as soon as the tourists are gone.

Both crabs and lobsters molt (ecdysis)- shedding a hard outer shell when it’s outgrown. As the new exoskeleton grows to replace the old, the crustacean has what we call a soft shell. The exo on the lobster hardens relatively quickly, so that it’s rare to find one as “soft” as we are used to with crabs. Because the soft lobster’s shell is still quite porous, although not soft enough to eat, it requires some modifications for cooking - steam not boil, reduced time, etc. - but, can’t simply be ignored.

Crabs molt around 20 times in a lifespan. This will happen throughout the year, and, as you might guess, smaller crabs grow more quickly and therefore molt more frequently. Bigger crabs (keeper sized) shed about once a month or so with a full moon appearing to have a triggering effect (that, however, may be more old fishermen dogma than it is science). Crabs are generally dormant during the coldest weather months.

The reason you associate soft shell crabs with the late spring months is the fact that that’s usually the time of the first molts of the season in South Carolina and Georgia and the market rushes to get them on plates. In NJ, we usually see the first molt about a month later. If you come down along the Barnegat Bay and it’s lagoons with a net, you’d have a good chance of scooping a swimming softie most any day for the rest of the month (though I’d suggest trying it a day after the full moon for even better chances).

1 Like

Z man knows his stuff! The best is scooping a number 1 male railing a big softie. 2 for 1 special

Looks like an epic day today. Make the most of it guys

I was kinda looking forward to a rained-in, books, booze, and bong hits Holiday weekend. Turn off the phone, crank up Spotify, maybe even doze off in my chair covered in crumbs - an open, half bag of chips poised to fall from my lap at any moment.

Now, I’m worried I may wind up mowing the f*cking lawn or doing some other lame, middle-aged guy, “Sundays around the house” chores. If anybody calls to suggest playing golf or “We’re gonna throw some turkey burgers on the grill later. . . .” I may wretch.

1 Like

I was ready for a day off from real life as well, but now that this passed I’m ready to grill and eat. Eff the lawn and chores. It is amazing out. The cactus juice is flowing and it’s a holiday weekend. The breeze is great and I’m a 70s dude. I’m “thinking” about a carton boat for breakfast :slight_smile:

Funny you say that. I just took the cover off the offset myself.

Shifting winds = shiftting plans, and all that, right? Who says a man can’t hibernate on a sunny day too?

Besides, I just stumbled upon some packs of short ribs reduced for the sell by date in Acme, so that’s gotta be a sign… . .

Ooh ooh great idea. I’ve got some Korean short ribs I marinated myself in the freezer. Got some mandoo and kimchi too.

I love Korean BBQ (sic)

Help a HO out, please? I’ve got my mom and aunt with me this weekend, and while Mr. Shrimp was my plan for dinner today, I’m now thinking we’re going to drive south towards Point Pleasant since it’s so damn summery (as in, NO WAY am I hanging outside while the sun is up). We do NOT want or need anything fancy–just good fresh fish…of Shore Fresh, Spikes, and Point Lobster, where would you go? And/or any other good recs between AP and PP? Thx in advance!

Well, I love Point Lobster, but I’m not sure I’d take mom there to eat lobster rolls in the car.

For such a meal, I think I’d hit the deck at Red’s. Seats right on the water next to moored lobster boats. Cool BYO vibe. One tip: stick to simple stuff - fried oysters/clams, whole lobsters, etc.

Thanks, MZ! That helps a lot…hard to tell from what’s on their (in some cases pathetic) websites. Here’s the (no pun intended) catch…Mom and I both have an allergy to hard shellfish, so we need fish options, and simply because I’m so careful about the allergy, I tend to stay away from fried stuff, as it’s often done in the same oil. This is why Mr. Shrimp is always a good call (blackened/grilled fish)…

But keep the ideas coming! Lunch could also be non-seafood and dinner up this way…

Z man…what’s going on at the union landing spot?

Good question. I haven’t been there since just before the sale and changeover. Come to think of it, I don’t really know anyone who has except my Dad. His assessment was, “It sucked.” But, that’s pretty much been the old man’s assessment of everything that’s changed since Namath was playing at Shea.

For “fish that swim,” and a giant step up in ambiance with only a small step up in price, go to the Shipwreck in Brielle for dinner. It’s still the best restaurant in the lower part of Monmouth County, and fish dishes are where that comes through most noticeably

When is the last time you were there? I went in the middle of the summer and was a bit taken back at price increase and serving size decrease. $2.00 for an additional pop over when I’m dropping $75-100pp ? The sides especially are barely enough for 1, sharing leaves each person with barely a serving.

That sounds like Shipwreck Point. We were at the original restaurant in Brielle a month or so ago and I didn’t notice (maybe I was just more stoned than I realized, but that’s pretty rare).

Growing more than peppers I see ?

In these matters I always like to consult the founding fathers:

“the greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add an useful plant to it’s culture…”

• Thomas Jefferson Memorandum of Services to My Country, after 2 September 1800
1 Like

Yes you are correct my bad.

Thx! I’ll remember that for next time… We ended up having lunch at Joe Leone’s in Point, and my aunt declared “I think I’m going to have to move in with you” when she first walked in, so that was fun… Dinner was at Me. Shrimp, which I always enjoy, but I can’t eat any of the shellfish! Always have a good piece of tuna there though…

1 Like

Finally got to Shore Fresh…just had to wait for local summer!
For $19.99 I had a perfectly (that is, barely, which is my preference) cooked piece of blackened tuna, which I had to force myself to finish because it was so big. Seasoning was terrific, and so were the string beans (side). So happy they’re open year 'round!

Good to hear. Avoided Shore Fresh all summer. Good reminder to return.

1 Like