Share your 3 pans strategy

I own and maintain large stainless steel pans, that I use for things other than eggs, because of the pan size vs the number of eggs we typically consume. I just never acquired a smaller stainless steel skillet. I would love to get a carbon steel pan when my current nonstick expires but I think I will always have a n/s pan or two in my kitchen.

I simply use the pans I find perform the best for me in my kitchen.

For certain things high quality non stick pans are unbeatable - and yes Iā€™ve successfully made all kinds of eggs in my well seasoned carbon steel pans, but it takes more heat control, more fat and more splatter, when I do it, hence I canā€™t see why I should bother using carbon steel pans for these delicate items.

I never use my non stick pans for high heat. Never.
Instead I use my carbon steel pans, thick ply pans and copper pans for high heat.

Iā€™ve made frittatta in my carbon steel pans, not perfect result each time, but an acceptable result, but my success rate is 100/100 when made in one of my excellent non stick pans.

I have to pay far more attention, when Iā€™m making the same egg dishes in my carbon steel pans, compared to when I use my non stick pans. I can use low heat from start to finish using my non stick pans and only a bit fat/oil. I also donā€™t need to preheat my non stick pans. They work instantly. This saves me time on the stovetop, and my stress level is far lower when using non stick pans at low heat compared to using carbon steel pans at higher to medium heat, preheating them first and using a lot more fat/oil.

So the choice is easy for me.

Why bother using a pan, that isnā€™t as fool proof for delicate items like flat fish, eggs, frittatta, frikadeller etc., when I own the perfect bulletproof easy peasy pan for the job - a pan that gives me success with these delicate dishes 100/100 times ?

Iā€™m not going into the whole Teflon debate here.

Yes Iā€™ve also tried making an omelette in my stainless ply pans, and it can be done, but I need to pay far more attention to heat control, than if I make it in one of my non stick pans.

I also enjoy reheating leftover pasta dishes with already cooked chicken and meat and rice dishes, and doing this in my Mauviel Mā€™STONE ceramic non stick pan at low heat without adding extra oil just works perfect each and every time. I can turn my back to the stovetop and make coffee and other stuff while the non stick pan gently reheats the leftover food without scorching or burning it and without the already cooked chicken from the day before sticking to the pan. If I do this in one of my ply pans, copper pans or carbon steel pans without fat/oil added you better believe it will stick like crazy in 2-3 minutes time.

Thatā€™s why thereā€™s a non stick pan in one of my 3 preferred pan choices.

But I only use my non stick pans for certain delicate specific types of food, that can be cooked at low to medium heat.

1 Like

Also odd how many Onions pick only pans for stovetop dry cooking.

The market surveys consistently show that the #1 reason people buy nonstick is easy cleanup.

This is probably due in large part to the thermal properties of aluminum-v-steel, rather than differences in nonstick-v-polymerized linings.

1 Like

Youā€™re probably right - but at the end of the day, I always use the pan that gives me the best chance of a perfect cooking result.

Cooking is hard enough as it is and time consuming as he_ll, so when I know a certain type pan can give me the perfect frittatta 100/100 times, while a carbon steel pan hovers around 95/100 times using higher heat, preheating and takes more fat/oil (I already use abundances of butter and EV olive oil in my home cooking, why use more ?), and as you correctly mention is much harder to clean afterwards, I know what pan to pick for the job in my home kitchen.

1 Like

Dang. I donā€™t have much trouble cleaning up my SS. I must be doing something wrong.

If I think a pan is going have a sticky mess problem, I ā€œdeglazeā€ it right after I remove the food, with boiling water from my electric kettle. and a little dish soap. Might even stir/ scrape, too. Takes no time. Then I let it sit. Works for me. I hand wash my nonstick skillet anyway, too.

4 Likes

OP did ask to exclude saucepans and stockpots for this thread? Were not for that qualifier, a 2-3 qt saucepan Iā€™d imagine would be on just about everyoneā€™s list, as would a 5-6 qt larger pot.

1 Like

My ancient CI is my frittata pan. It always works perfectly. I used to use it also for heating tortillas, but now I just toss them right on the gas flame and flip them with tongs (sometimes just bare fingers).

I responded and then deleted it because I wasnā€™t sure if I was addressing the question properly.
If we are to exclude saucepan, stockpot and any other pot for cooking liquids, and only focus on dry cooking, then I mainly rely on two cookware

1. A carbon steel wok (hand hammered)
  2. A 10 inch carbon steel fry pan (Made In)

I have a DeBuyer carbon steel fry pan and a no-name cast iron skillet, but they are largely replaced by the above Made In fry pan.

(post deleted by author)

We are including Dutch Oven? I am not following.

My cooking is too elaborate for just three pansā€¦ sorryā€¦ :slight_smile: These are the 5 pans I use the most on any given day.

20 cm saute pan
22 cm non stick frying pan
24 cm saute pan
28 cm saute pan
22 cm Dutch oven

1 Like

Yeah, re-read the OP.

the issue of pan numbers is simply a non-starter.
if one makes stock, one cannot manage that in a frying pan.
nor can one do a decent fried (anything) in a stock pot.

personally, being all downsized and empty nested, Iā€™ve bought smaller pans, more suited to the qty of stuff Iā€™m cooking.

certainly one can fry two eggs in a 30 cm pan - but itā€™s a lot easier to do in a 15 cm fry pan.

stuff like crepes and omelettes - a mega diameter pan does not really work.

my definition of ā€œthree pansā€ would be materials first:

• nonstick, for item that need it
  • cast iron / carbon steel - for blow out high temp sears
  • stainless steel (plies as neededā€¦) for all the rest

the ā€˜size/shapeā€™ of the cooking vessel depend on oneā€™s needs.
if youā€™re going to scramble 12 eggs ā€˜in the panā€™ - might need something bigger than a 6" . . .

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ a SS pan handles eggs just as well if the cook is proficient with SS and egg cooking. Iā€™m still on the learning curve there. I get fine egg results with my carbon steel, hard anodized aluminum and cast iron (all well seasoned) but the only way I get SS to not stick with eggs is to cook at high temp, and I really donā€™t like the ā€œplastickyā€ perimeter I get on the eggs at high temp.

But as I said, this is a personal proficiency (lack thereof) problem with eggs and SS on my part.

I guess that brings up another dumb newbie question - can one get a seasoned coating on a stainless steel pan? If I can do it with hard anodized aluminum, carbon steel and cast iron, why not with stainless? (Iā€™ve never tried but now Iā€™m curious)

1 Like

Yes, but it needs to be redone regularly, and is different from seasoning cast iron and carbon steel.

1 Like

Thanks!

Kaleo is right, and I think there are some videos floating on youtube about it. Long story short, seasoning on stainless steel cookware help, but they donā€™t last long, so you always do it every time. It has the same effect of ā€œless stickingā€, but different in preparation and care-taking.

1 Like

So the answer is, ā€œkeep learning how to cook on stainlessā€, really, and donā€™t bother trying to season it. My 2nd daughter is good with stainless and has been teaching me a bit. Iā€™m fine with steak searing and the the like. I just need to get better at more delicate stuff.