"Shake a pudding' "and other deserts of that ilk.

Does anybody remember this?

I was actually watching that British Baking show, and they were making a gelatine dish that reminded me of some boxed thing I seem to remember enjoying in my childhood. I think it separated into layers.

Jello 1-2-3!

From Food 52

" The very process of making Jell-O 1-2-3 required a rather careful choreography; you’d need a blender and unusual reserves of patience. You’d set out four dessert glasses, empty the package’s powder into a blender, add boiling water, and blend at the lowest speed for roughly thirty seconds. You’d then ramp it up and blend the mixture at blender’s highest possible speed for a minute, followed by adding a cup of ice-cold water and blending at the same speed for a minute longer.

After the blending was complete, you’d fill each dessert glass half full, one by one, and let each sit for a few seconds. Then, you’d fill the glasses completely in the same order before chilling them for three hours. Who has that time these days? A rather taxing ordeal, to be sure. (The commercial above, from the mid-1980s, gets a lot about this process wrong; the Jell-O 1-2-3 must mature in the confines of a refrigerator, not before the eyes of a young child.)"

1 Like

It was probably this jello+Cool Whip recipe I remember.

Shaking pudding in a plastic cup kept us kids busy while Mom did her thing and jello 1-2-3 kept us completely occupied amazed at how the colors separated and stayed that way; fun food. Mom was a big fan of fun foods, heck with healthy…bring on the fun was her motto. Loved her, changed my eating habits pretty soon after her passing though…and completely overhauled as an adult.

I also remember creme brûlée in a box, flan in a box, jarred mincemeat {fruit) filling, Carnation instant breakfast packets which we turned into smoothies before that was even a word.

3 Likes

I remember getting Carnation Instant breakfast for Trick or Treat one year.

2 Likes

Really, that’s an unusual choice. My mother made a frozen dessert out of blackberry or strawberry or dark cherry jello, defrosted vanilla ice cream and canned fruit folded together and poured into a Tupperware mold until frozen. As kids, we thought it was magical.

1 Like

I remember making milk shakes with the carnation packets if we ran out of Hershey syrup.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember Jello 1-2-3. The top layer was nothing but colored airy fluff. The second layer wasn’t much better and the bottom layer was well, jello. Even as kids none of us were too terribly impressed with it. Think my mother only made it once or maybe twice.

1 Like

I meant DESSERTS. Thanks for your patience.

History Dumpster

Great Shakes

Sometimes you gotta just grab what’s in the pantry when you run out of candy (or forget to buy any).:smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for posting this @shrinkrap. It brought up long forgotten memories! Firstly, thought the Jello 123 was sheerly amazing and delicious. No one could have been happier when Carnation Instant Breakfast hit the market than me. Mom always insisted I eat breakfast before school, but even as a very young child, I wasn’t hungry for or wanted to eat breakfast. Can’t tell you how much oatmeal I had to gag down. So, when CIB came out, I was allowed to have that, and it was a godsend.

Finally as a young teen, we thought Shake a Pudding was fabulously delicious and magical too. The best friend & I took lots of it to camp the 2nd year we went, for snacks. The 1st year we went, we discovered the food wasn’t that great & nearly starved with no snacks. Oh, those were the days…

3 Likes