SFBA: Pizza

Berkeley - representing

1 Like

It’s def got some good stuff. Cheese Board can be hit or miss but lots of shots fired. Really so very Berkeley ! Maybe it’s not pizza who cares its so delicious. I try to stop by randomly if I’m passing thru that part of town. I still get Zachary’s about 1/2 the time when I’m in town.

Next time, try Little Star on Solano (bottom of the hill, down from Zachary’s.)

Another Chicago deep dish place, corn meal in the crust. I’ll vouch for its tastiness.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to. I’m intrigued. @brisket44 also recommends. That’s 2 good recommendations. I’m closer to the Zach’s on college ave so go to that one. Technically Oakland I guess. Off Solano area I’m still mourning Jodie’s and his butter basted pancakes and fried chicken !

There’s a film for you to scout out @Lectroid

I’m not a big pizza fan, but I do think the crust at little star >>>>> Zachary’s. Zachary’s is not even close

1 Like

Sounds good. Cornmeal is certainly a twist.

Regarding Zachary’s it’s a wonder what 2 inches of sausage pepperoni cheese sauce and bacon will do to a crust. Somehow you can still pick it up and eat it with your hands too.

Grabbed some slices from That’s Outta Sight. I wanted to order a fresh whole pie but they were jammed on takeout and said hour and a half wait. Got cheese slices and what I thought was peppers and sausage but turned out to be peppers and chicken. Crust was great, but the chicken pepper combo was no bueno and the regular slice had no discernible flavor from the tomato sauce, which was pretty scant.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is going a bit off-topic, but I was in the SFBA and/or Oakland areas for work a few years back, and someone local convinced me that I just had to try one place that had a peanut butter based pizza.

And no, I’m not joking. And despite my misgivings, it was really great. But I can’t remember the name of the place.

Spettro in Oakland, or John’s Pizza in Newark? Both had peanut butter pizza, but both are gone.

1 Like

Ha, I actually got a couple slices yesterday as well. Your chicken and peppers was BBQ chicken, which, ya.

I got a pepperoni for me and mushroom for my gf. The pepperoni was fine, the mushroom pretty good (glad they use more interesting mushrooms). But I do agree they didn’t seem as good as when I had it last year.

I asked Pete what’s up with the sandwiches and how the bread I saw previously looked good. He said it’s up to Eric as to when it’s good enough to start selling them. So basically :man_shrugging:

Ah, that explains it. Chicken on pizza is a me issue.
I thought the crust was really good and will give them another try - looking at the vodka pie, will remember to order before I go.

I may have had a small part in starting the use of pineapple on pizzas in one small part of the world. In 1994 I was on Ko Tao and staying at New Way bungalows at the north end of Sairee Beach. Pan and Ott ran the place and the food was really very good. Almost all Thai, but very good. Pan prepared a small pan pepperoni or pepperoni and ham pizza that was ok, but not great. I was bored one night and wanted something different so I asked her to make a Hawaiian Pizza with ham and the pineapple she had for other dishes. She thought it was silly but made it and it was pretty good. I had it a time or two and she put it on her special board a couple nights a week. She was the only chef on Sairee that made Hawaiian pizza that year.
I came back in 1998 and it was on almost every menu on the entire island. I can not claim to have caused this development, but the chances are I had something to do with it.
Sadly, Ko Tao is a poster child for overdevelopment now. My first stay I stayed in a small wooden bungalow and I fell asleep to the sound of waves on the beach. I was almost run down in a water buffalo stampede caused by a falling coconut tree.
My last stay it was wall to wall glam-packers in air-conditioned concrete tombs and as I tried to sleep I heard disco to the left of me and Bob Marley to the right.

1 Like

Anyone know anything about the Laundromat in Outer Richmond? I saw some comments elsewhere about how apparently it’s a great bagel and pizza joint that opened last November, but this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Oh, looks like they’re the Holey Roller Bagels team from Santa Cruz. We sometimes drive out to the beach for a sunset and pick up some food. Will definitely check them out next time. Thanks for the info.

Great bagels, haven’t yet tried the za but I really want to!

SFGATE is calling it - That’s Outta Sight.

Gialina, Glen Park SF
I used to go here a lot, but haven’t been in probably 7 years - not sure why I think I had some inconsistent meals and gravitated to Pizza Hacker for a change . It was really good, they always use noticeably top notch ingredients and the crust was right on. Moto and NY NY pies.

4 Likes

Pizzeria da Laura opened a few weeks ago in the old PEI/Passione spot at Shattuck and Center in downtown Berkeley. It’s a sit-down place with pizza in New York thin, Sicilian, Detroit, and grandma, and some pasta dishes and salad. Their take-out slice booth is now open. The pepperoni slice I got for lunch today was very large, $6.39 including tax. The crust was very good, but it was a little overloaded with sauce and cheese. Only the NY slices are available, not the other styles. The sit-down area is also open for lunch now. It isn’t clear whether table service extends to the tables on the patio.

ETA: the preview didn’t load, but the link works.

2 Likes

re: Pizzeria de Laura
The take out slices I had (probably Pazzo – loaded with sausage, bacon) were not as good as the whole pie I tried, possibly because it was sitting around a bit before they reheated it.
Not bad, but not great.

The full pie I had earlier (Ray J, also NY style) was excellent.

3 Likes

We had 4 slices from Outta Sight today. All were much better than last time. New (to me) employee said if the sandwiches are being made is till pretty random. But the slices were all really good.

Cheese, Pepperoni, Pesto, Mushroom

4 Likes