SFBA: Pizza

Oh, I forgot I saw this hot sauce I hadn’t seen before, which…

I was going to try it but started talking to someone.

1 Like

Forgot to take a picture it was so good: pepperoni (little grease chalices!) at Tony’s Coal Fired Pizza & Slice House in north beach. As good if not better then outta sight’s version in my opinion.

3 Likes

Ya, Slice House is good (I mean all/most of Tony’s stuff is pretty good). I haven’t had it in a while but would go a lot when they opened and I lived closer. I don’t know why but I think of it as a little different style than Outta Sight.

We got delivery from Gioia the other day (it’s the only place we get delivery from) and it’s always been good. My favorites are the salsiccia or pepperoni. My gf likes the mushroom. Actually the anchovy and calabrian chile one is good too.

salsiccia:

4 Likes

I had a “Bar Style Pie” from Cellarmaker House of Pizzas in Bernal Heights/La Lengua, the

Teamo Supremo ($19)
CM cheese blend, house made fennel sausage, bell pepper mix, red onions, & finished w/BBQ sauce made from Coffee & Cigarettes beer.
CHOP, which started out making Detroit style pizzas, has added some “Bar Style Pies” to their menu. Round, about 10" in diameter, with a more thin crust. A bit similar to a Chicago style tavern pizza, but with I think a less cracker like crust, it had some air to it. A nice crust. Also, the edges were nice and crispy with a buttery fried cheese edge like their Detroit style pizzas. It was sliced into squares. A good pizza and more than enough for 1 person. Good sausage, slightly crispy bell peppers and onion. The beer BBQ sauce on top gave it a sweet and slightly acidic kick.

Also had a beer or 3, as you do.

Cellarmaker Juice Kiosk Hazy IPA, Highland Park Hermosillo Lager, Cellarmaker Dank Williams DIPA

3 Likes

Damnfine Pizza, Outer Sunset, SF.
Clam pie - Manila clams, Point Reyes Toma, mozzarella, herbed ricotta, lemon, parsley and chili flakes. This was OK, but too much going on so the clams kind of got lost. The herbed ricotta made everything too sweet. Crust was thinner than I remembered, but nice and light. I like their pizza but wouldn’t get this again.

3 Likes

I had a slice from the newly opened Flour+Water Pizzeria in North Beach. It’s in the former Rose Pistola space, a large space that has entrances on two streets. The two Big Slice of the Day ($11) offered were a vegetarian slice with squash, basil, ricotta, garlic, onion, and marinara, and a pepperoni slice with tomato, peppers, mozzarella, and parmigiano. Or at least that’s what it said on the board. My pepperoni had arugula and no peppers that I could see.

It is indeed a big slice! Basically half a small pizza. It was served in a handy paper takeout container for eating on the go, which while convenient nevertheless didn’t stop some of the grease soaking through. I ate in, there were plates, silverware, and paper napkins at a self service station.

A good slice, nice crust with a crispy bottom and some char. Good texture and chew. The middle part got a little soggy from the toppings. The peppery arugula was nice against the greasiness of the pepperoni.

They have a TMNT arcade machine!

More pics:

9 Likes

6 Likes

Pizza Leah, Windsor CA
The Golden Girl with sun gold vodka sauce, roast sun gold cherry tomatoes , burrata and chili flakes was seriously one of the best pizzas I’ve had in a while. Love her crust.

5 Likes

Arizmendi Sunset

No extra slice smidgen! Good slice.

3 Likes

Dinner at Fiorella in the Sunset

Pizza themed martini:

CAPRESE MARTINI ($15)
burrata washed tomato Infused gin, olive leaf gin, basil Infused dry vermouth, olive oil, served up.
Good, sweet, savory.

SALSICCIA PIE ($23)
House-Made Sausage, Ricotta, Mozzarella di Bufala, Garlic & Calabrian Chili Salsa Verde

The crust was Neapolitan like, tender like a piece of naan, with some char in spots and more tender in the middle. Really nice crust. Nice mix of mozzarella and ricotta with the sausage. The salsa verde was vinegary like a giardiniera and added some nice acidity to cut through the fat. Delicious.

More pics:

3 Likes

Pizza Leah is our go to up here!
Totally agree about the Crust, though when they get slammed it can be a bit underdone, still good and reheats even better so no biggie!

2 Likes

The Big Slice, Flour and Water Pizza North Beach SF
Kind of a cross between Detroit style and a grandma slice, lots of crispy cheese on the edges but thin. Good, $9.

3 Likes

Flour and Water Pizzeria- North Beach, SF
Frito misto was generous but the batter a tad heavy. Pizzas were good, thin crispy crust and bold flavors. Sauce a bit sweet.

5 Likes

I posted this in the Lunch topic and forgot to add it here. Pepperoni slice from Pizzeria Da Laura, downtown Berkeley. A little cheesier than I like, but a great thin crust.

3 Likes

And no skimping on the pepperoni!

The classic kind, too, little cups of pepperoni grease, crisp at the edges.

1 Like

While we had long known/enjoyed The Star’s Chicago crust on Grand Ave., we were just introduced to Detroit style with the frico-like crust edges at the Alameda location on Park. Mighty tasty.

Gioia on Hopkins in Berkeley.

2 Likes

Looks like a classic NY slice.

Very much so, even down to the pizza-mouth I got from eating it while it was too hot.

2 Likes