SFBA: Pizza

Lookin good !
Water Buffalo milk/cream?

Yes! highly recommended if you ever see it listed, its has a unique rich flavor.

Cool! Never seen it! I know it’s good mozz so gotta be tasty!

Next time you’re at Angie’s, try the ice cream. It’s being done by the woman who was running the Good Children popup out of the Dear Inga space during the pandemic, which I’d be happy to argue was the best ice cream in the city.

(I did like the pizza as well, but I was there on opening night)

4 Likes

sf.eater.com reports that a small local chain featuring “Detroit-style” pizza is expanding to Daly City and Berkeley.

The pies look like they’re worth a try:

3 Likes

Just to include it in this illustrious thread, I’m gonna put in my review of Sacramento’s Pizza Supreme Being:

tl;dr: some of the BEST NYC/east coast slices you will find in the broader Bay Area. Yes, that’s saying a lot. If you are in the vicinity, it would a damned shame if you missed out. Don’t sleep on the square/grandma/sicilian slices either.

4 Likes

Nit-picky point: Sicilian and grandma are different styles. The crust on Sicilian is thick and bready. Grandma’s is typically thin. Sicilian has been around forever, while grandma was first introduced on Long Island in the 1990s. For me, I don’t care much for Sicilian, but grandma was love at first sight.

2 Likes

It’s not exactly a sicilian or a grandma or a detroit. It’s a sort of amalgam of all of those focaccia-adjacent pan pizzas. His version has a great, crispy bottom, a nice bubbly interior with a slight sourdough tang (a feature, not a bug) and has a thin layer of mozz UNDERNEATH the slick of sauce.

I’ve gotten the square pep. slices AND ordered a whole cheese square pie. All of them are fabulous.

Worth your while if you’re up in these parts, for sure.

Sunset Squares, SF Divisadero
Why didn’t I get the square slice? I think I was too shocked by the $8.50 pre tax cost for a pepperoni square. Regular cheese slice had too little flavorless sauce and flavorless industrial cheese. Crust had slight sourdough tang. Pass.

2 Likes

you gotta kiss some frogs to find your prince! thanks for taking one for the team.

1 Like

The slices actually looked legit. Oh well.

1 Like

I don’t blame you for trying. I’m sure it didn’t go to waste. Tho that slightly raw and slightly charred industrial undercarraige is not appealing at all. For me, a perfect plain cheese slice cannot be beat by any other kind of pizza. Continue on with your important mission! What’s the top slice now for you in the Bay?

Good question. The Bay Area has a lot of great pizza these days and a nice variety of styles, but seems to be lacking in the slice department and in the solid basic reasonably priced NY style cheese pie department. Arinell closed, Pi Bar is closing, the Pizza Shop in the Mission has basic pies but they’re pretty flavorless. Tony’s has pretty good slices, but not really special. Sometimes I’ll get a sausage and onion pie from Pasquales that sort of scratches that itch, but honestly I’m kind of at a loss.

1 Like

Serving up food in the sub 5 dollar range isn’t what the local market wants you to have right now and prob not working for them. Well, f it, just get a nice whole pie from the many great spots. We got you covered in LA lol!

Oh yeah, I get it, I feel for the restaurants that are struggling and don’t blame them for charging what they have to in order to survive.

1 Like

I agree. We all want the tasty places to succeed. At least in some areas like pizza, tacos, cheesesteaks, bagels, dim sum, it’s still a relatively affordable luxury compared to Chez Quis kind of places!

1 Like

Arinell is still open in Berkeley. They’re my go-to, with Gioia a close second.

A new place, Super Slice, opened up recently in El Cerrito’s Peppermint Tree mini-mall on San Pablo. The slice price was high at $6.50, but it was easily the size of two Gioia slices. The slice I got was uneven, though. The crust was nice and thin, almost floppy, at the point, but got thicker towards the crust until it became a more or less standard mid-American chain pie, bready and with too much cheese.

And I have to mention the very good slices at Market Hall on Fourth St. in Berkeley. They’re also big, but thin throughout, with a good sauce/cheese ratio. $4.50 for the cheese slice is about right, but they’ve raised the prices on meat toppings to, I think, $6.00.

2 Likes

Have you tried the slices from Outta Sight yet? Granted, it’s not a convenient or easy neighborhood to navigate. @chiel posted about it from October 2022 and I think they have only gotten better…

No but I want to. Funny I was driving and trying to remember where they were, but crossed Market and didn’t want to go back - now I wish I did. They’re on my list.

I’ve had a couple of square pizzas from there and honestly I think the sourdough flavor in them is a bit overwhelming, although they do tend to have some interesting weird pizzas. Still, when I’m in the mood for that I tend to stick with Cellarmaker or Square Pie Guys or maybe Joyride.

Okay, fine, realistically it’s always Cellarmaker these days now that they sell by the slice and I can just drop in for a slice and a beer.

4 Likes