[SFBA/NYC] All Italian durum wheat pasta- does it matter?

I came across this article from The New York Times that talks about some restaurants start to serve and market pastas that are made of 100% Italian grown durum wheat, versus the usual 70% proportion. Two local examples they highlighted that these pasta is available is Rainbow in SF and iTalico in Palo Alto.

The question is for the pasta connoisseurs- does it make a difference, in taste and texture?

I probably should find out about iTalico’s pasta given its not far from me. But I had an incorrectly cooked meal at their sister restaurant Terun across the street and a meh takeout app from iTalico. So the question is whether 100% Italian wheat is pure marketing gimmick or whether the wheat ‘terroir’ matters. I am inclined to think that a strong kitchen can make a decent pasta shine, and that sauces, especially strong ones, may mask the smaller differences of the wheat. But I’d love to hear your opinions.

A couple of quotes from the article:
“We don’t necessarily consider Italian durum wheat to be the best,”
“PrimoGrano is softer, and tasty, like bread,”

ETA: Not saying pasta quality doesn’t make a difference to a dish, of course. It does. Just wondering whether 100% Italian durum is enough to make a noticeable difference.

The article mentions availability in NYC at certain Dean & DeLuca shops (Rustichella d’Abruzzo Primo Grano), and Il Buco Alimentari e Vineria (Mancini pasta).

Very interesting! I wonder what the origin of the durum flour in “zero zero” is?

I’m happy enough with Rustichella regular that I doubt I’ll pay for an even higher quality, and get Oliveto’s Community Grains pastas when ii want a heartier taste. The attached photo is the only variety Rainbow currently has.

They mention Barilla in that article-- Complicating the Barilla story is that their American pasta uses a lower quality flour than their Italian made pasta.

I was at Rainbow, saw it, and just thought its a bit too pricey for me. Even though its apples to oranges, I wonder how these compared to fresh pasta when they are priced somewhat closely.