(SF, Inner Richmond) It looks like Hong Kong Lounge 2 is on fire.

My co-workers directed me to a video of a gas line explosion in SF, and it turns out that said gas line was right next to Hong Kong Lounge 2, and it looks like part of it was on fire. I hope this doesn’t impact their business; that’s one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in the City.

Oh no. The second floor of the building is on fire with smoke coming out, and part of the roof is gone.

If the building is standing after this, there will be very extensive smoke and water damage.

Ugh. Water rushing down the stairs to the left of HKL2

Unfortunately it looks like probably a total loss. Not sure if anything can be salvaged realistically.

What sucks is during New Year there are loads of high grossing banquet bookings. That’s gone along with the rest.

That’s crazy. I was there for a late dim sum lunch just this past Friday. They said nobody was hurt which seems like some kind of miracle considering the extent of the damage.

2 Likes

Our local ABC station has been livestreaming coverage from the SF station through their app; truly amazing if there are no injuries but heartbreaking for those affected.

According to NBC Bay Area:
“A third-party crew was doing fiber optic work underground in front of Hong Kong Lounge II when they hit a gas line, according Hayes-White. The explosion followed.”

From their website:

'We would like everyone know our guests and employees exited the restaurant safely from the burning building. We are sorry to say we wouldn’t be able to opening anytime soon.

Thank you for your understanding and support.’

1 Like

GoFundMe campaign to support the employees of HKL2:

http://www.tablehopper.com/chatterbox/after-the-fire-hong-kong-lounge-ii-is-returning-as-hong-kong-lounge-bistro-in-soma/

Oooh SoMa?

2 Likes