[SF] Challenge: best dishes of SF chinatown

I like the pork jowl at Ming Kee but pork jowl and pork cheeks are two different cuts and so I was surprised when pork cheeks were mentioned

1 Like

apologies, my bad, got the wrong name. On the menu I think they reference them as bbq pork neck

2 Likes

Ya, they don’t have cheeks. I wonder how that would even work for char siu with how soft the meat is.

They also confuse things by calling their jowl “neck” and I think their regular “barbecue pork” is actually neck/collar.

Oh ya, I didn’t mention that I actually don’t like their scallion ‘sauce’ that much. My gf does but I usually end up making my own sauce or not using one.

Is Sam Wo’s still around?

Yummy Bakery egg white tart and AA Bakery egg tart.

Hing Lung’s char siu and char siu jowl

Juicy Fruit. Dragonfruit juice. Fruit stand that takes their own fruit and makes juices.

Wong Lee Bakery congee.

Garden Bakery pineapple custard bun.

Coffee Movement cappuccino and tasting flight.

9 Likes

Yes, though it’s on Clay Street now.

New Woey Loy Goey Restaurant

It’ll never win any awards, and it’s hard to find (or easy to miss), but the pig’s tongue with ginger over rice for less than $10 qualifies as one of the “best” dishes in SF Chinatown.

5 Likes

No longer open late.

Wow, the parties we had there and loads and loads of noodle dishes to sober up with.

1 Like

Ha! Tell me about it. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten there sober.

Used to hit the Three Ducks (Donald’ 3 nephews) 2 ~ 3 x per week after last call at the El Matador on Broadway.

“Our” waiter would automatically bring us Cold Tea when he sees us stumbling down the few steps. Ice cold Buds from stainless steel teapots to wash down our OG Chinese American rice plates.

Curry Lamb (goat, really) on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Roast Beef, Roast Pork or Cha Siu on other nights.

~ $4/plate. Good eats.

1 Like

Freakin love “over rice” dishes at canto spots

yup, like peanut butter and jelly

I had friends in town this weekend and started with these noodle rolls. With a dab of mustard, it was the perfect light snack to sustain us for a walk to and from Coit Tower (I enjoy these delivered a lot, and it was so comforting to get these fresh from the kitchen).

We then sat for dinner at Yuet Lee. Salt and pepper squid good as ever, serving size more modest but perfect for two adults to accompany their delicious crab and a vegetable side.

A second day, a Monday, was a bust. My friend liked the Sheng jian bao at the Washington location of Hon’s, but I found they lacked the soup quantity, pliability, or broth intensity available elsewhere in SF or beyond. I’ll focus on their noodles etc. next time.

None of the non-snack Shanghai standards I tried at Bund Shanghai were good enough for the OP’s request.

2 Likes