[SF] Challenge: best dishes of SF chinatown

Good point. Will see what info I can gather without spilling my hand.

Great list. This seems 100% doable. I think we could get buns at half a dozen other places.

Never too young for a cocktail

I just had one for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Knocked me on my behind.

2 Likes

Bbq pork noodle rolls at Sam Wo
Karaage curry at Muracci
Beef chow fun “wet” with pea leaves (dou miao) added at R&G lounge

4 Likes

picking up one of these bad boys is never a mistake

5 Likes

What you decide on?

Not in Chinatown…

The egg tart at Golden Gate is all hype! I’ve had em twice now, once very fresh and hot and once room temp; I noticed that the puff pastry was tough like they rolled it out without enough resting time…you get this mottled look that calves off instead of a delicate crunch throughout. Best egg tart in the city is at Lung Fung in the Richmond; there is yet a hint of lard in their pastry. Really good stuff.

All the tourists line up for Good Mon Kok but the OGs know the good stuff is at Wong Lee bakery on Jackson. Stellar ham sui gok when fresh and all the other items are really good for a to-go dim sum joint. The lo mai gai is bangin too and the steamed pork buns, not bbq, just pork and cabbage are really homestyle. Those are hard to find these days but they reminded me of the kind of bao I ate growing up.

Lai Hong Lounge is really good dim sum.

The pineapple bun at Garden Bakery on Jackson is world class. Don’t sleep on the cocktail bun either. That pineapple bun is top tier. Top 5 lifetime for me easily.

The main thing at Hing Lung is the roasted pork. Get there early so you can get choice cuts. I really like the area just below the ribs.

Soy sauce chicken at Kam Po is super good. Perfectly poached and they dont skimp on the sauce.

Hon’s Wun Tun remains pretty solid. Busy as ever.

Mow Lee on Commercial St has really really good lap cheong and lap yuk. I made claypot rice the other day at home with some sausage and its just so clean tasting. Kam Yen Jan (the one at costco) tastes like the slim jim version of these (in a bad way).

I haven’t been since precovid but Utopia cafe on waverly had solid wonton noodle soup.

Precovid you could find me at New Sun Hong Kong, its closed now but looks like they’re renovating, at 2am. Good times.

I worked in Chinatown as a cook for a couple years and I ate all over.

12 Likes

Their congee is totally underrated.

1 Like

I’m not a drinker at all but I do want to try a Mai Tai and play liars dice with the bartender. I have to YouTube how to play liars dice lol

1 Like

Hing Lung Co

If you haven’t already you gotta read their “about” portion on Yelp lmao.

And if you haven’t already this duck is good as it can get for casual to-go spot. Get it deboned. They give you BOTH the duck drippings and plum sauce! The skin plus meat plus a little pan drippings plus that plum sauce over some rice! Come on! Just down the street China Live is crowded lol wtf why so many people? Hing Lung and Ming Kee 4 Life

8 Likes

Hing Lung is the one in Chinatown (There are also two places on the Peninsula with the same name) ? Ming Kee vs Hing Lung - which duck is better (Ming Kee is great and relatively easy to park, Chinatown is more difficult to reach sometimes, so need to know if it is worth the extra effort) ?

1 Like

Since those two are our favorite places, I think both are good, but:

Hing Lung - roast pork (especially the pork belly part of it), char Siu (a friend loved it)
Ming Kee - Pork cheeks, soy sauce chicken

I think the roasted duck is equal in both places. Like the service better at hing Lung (maybe because they know me and are super nice to me)

5 Likes

I might give it to Hing Lung for the duck. I completely destroyed that duck over rice with the pan drippings and plum sauce

1 Like

I’ve eaten Hing Lung a bunch (they were on Too Good for a while — see below) in the last few years.

My favorites are the char siu (both collar and jowl) and the ribs. Next are the duck and crispy pork belly, and then the soy sauce chicken.

Sometimes we just pick up a bunch of meat and I’ll make rice and veg. Here’s a plate of mine with char siu (collar):

We’ll get some whole proteins for xmas eve dinners to not have to cook before the big day. Soy sauce chicken and some crispy belly from one of those:

One of many plates picked up while they were on Too Good To Go — once you reserved in the morning you could go anytime and just show one of the ladies your app and she’d pack it up. Sad they got off the app but understandable. $6 for this half duck plate:

6 Likes

Ming Kee has pork cheeks ? Are they regularly on the menu or a special?

2 Likes

It’s a regular item. Ming Kee’s char siu pork jowl is well liked over at FTC.

1 Like

Also of note Hing Lung’s scallion sauce is really different from others. Not sure if that’s the sons idea or they always made it that way.

I suspect they might sell out of it by afternoon. But its available most of the mornings when I pick up from them (approx 1 / month)