SF Bay Area Farmers' market good finds

Any Monterey bay rock crab claws seen at your market ? Enjoying the king salmon collars . South in Santa Cruz .

Are the striped variety of figs around at any of the farmers markets?

Not a FM, but I’ll shoehorn it in— Purslane at Mi Pueblito market at Mission and 24th for $.79/bunch, 3 for $2

Blossom Bluff is at Temescal market (Oakland) on Sunday mornings.

EBX article on winter market produce (from last month):

1 Like

Thank you, I’ve been looking for a list like that.

The Chronicle had a nice list for the summer http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Your-guide-to-peak-summer-produce-at-Bay-Area-9000680.php

Thanks. I missed that one.

Strawberries seem to be winding down in terms of taste. In the last month or so, the albions seem to be less sweet.

Bluelake beans from half moon bay are great these days- i suppose days are a little cooler also over there now.

The whole romaine lettuce from Tomatero has been sweet.

Too bad lemon cucumbers are done for the year. a couple of weeks ago they were great at Heirloom Organics.

Matsutake is around at Far West last week.

Winter melon has been available at C-Farm for a few weeks.

So is watercress at Happy Boy.

Carola potatoes from Borba- wonderful.

At the Ferry Building, I picked up some lovely sunchokes, Kishu mandarins (sweet, tastes a bit like yuzu), and pineapple guavas. I saw lots of red spring onions, mammoth sized leeks, and lovely chard/kale/etc.

1 Like

Picked up these beautiful bokchoy with black leaves at Heirloom Organic. They have been available for a couple of weeks now. Sweeter than usual shanghai bok choy or standard bok choy.

1 Like

who had the Kishu mandarins? It seems a bit early for them.

I didn’t write down the farmer’s name, but the ones I picked up were at one of the northmost stalls in the front of the ferry building. I’m not sure if they were organic or conventional. There was another vendor, in the rear of the building, that was selling organic ones for a higher price. They also had oro biancos that were tastier than I’ve had from Berkeley Bowl.

I ate one this afternoon — still good, but I’m not getting much of a yuzu taste as I did when I bought them.

test

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out. We split up areas where we look and I didn’t see them.

At Heirloom Organic Garden: Some humongous napa cabbage.

Also, purple tatsoi, more tender than the tattoo from Happy Boy.

They told me the bok choy from last week’s called purple bok choy.

1 Like

And I thought last week’s napa cabbage was humongous. Check out this yuuuuuuuuuge napa cabbage, this week from C-Farm. You can put 10 stacks of copy paper in this box.

1 Like

If you Google “Napa Cabbage” the first result is “6 Things to Do with the Napa Cabbage in Your CSA Box,” so I guess a lot of peoples’ reaction on opening their box is “WTF am I going to do with this thing?”

Do they also provide the Michihili variety, which my wife prefers?

I googled the Michihili pictures, and if I am not wrong, the C-Farm types are Michihili. Its just grew so big that it became fiberish and tough. Their other ones look like these:

In fact, except for the long ones from Heirloom Organic, all the other ones I came across in the market look like these.

You may be right. If so , the last one you got looks pretty atrocious She usually buys the long, slender ones (like those in your first pcture) in Chinatown, so they are not likely from an organic producer. I’ll try to ID the source from the boxes they come in.

How do the long ones taste? same as the short ones? I didn’t get that out of concern that, since they were like 2 ft long that I might not be able to finish it (or that it might be tough).

Has anyone seen red mustard greens at farmers markets?

I had them for the first time from Rainbow twice last week, but they no longer have them (the flavor is reminiscent of horseradish, not as bitter as green mustard greens, and were great steamed, chopped, and seasoned only with red wine vinegar and salt)