SF Bay Area Farmers' market good finds

In all but a handful of instances, I have found CJ’s cherries to be better than farmers market cherries from the top tier farms. CJs sells their cherries at different prices though, the better more expensive ones are in baskets and cheaper ones in bags. I havent had any this season yet but last year’s were excellent. I dont make it down to the peninsula very often, but when I do, I always stop there for cherries and other stone fruit.

The Frog Hollow rainiers were on their last legs the past weekend. Somewhat difficult to pick out the good ones. They got the bings for the first time this year, however.

Downtown Oakland market got an upgrade, now Frog Hollow and Riverdog are both there. Cherries were flavorful but on the small side, and better than in previous years. I agree that the rainiers are excellent. Peaches havent peaked yet there, in my opinion. But I will be checking every Friday…

Is it Gunther and Trinity working the Friday market? I have skipped Frog Hollow for a couple of weeks waiting for the stone fruit to ‘mature’. Will be checking this weekend.

All types of berries- blue, rasp, black, etc. at Borba Farm. These folks know their berries.

The flavor crest peaches at Frog Hollow were really good yesterday, I would say we are hitting peak for Frog Hollow.

Thanks. Looks like its time to get the 10 pound discount box at Frog Hollow…

I found this year’s stone fruit at many vendors to be more watery than usual. I am wondering whether that has anything to do with the higher than average rainfall in the winter.

I have found they are really juicy but not at all watered down. I thought it had to do with more water, but you would have to ask a farmer. When stone fruit lacks flavor I tend to attribute it to being plucked off the tree too early. When it comes to stone fruit there is no substitute for tree ripening.

i’ve been getting my stonefruits at hamada farms htis year. not in the same class as kashiwase, for sure, but solidly reliable and very cheap. i’ve been in the bay area for 5 years and i feel that this years stone fruits are the best theyve been in a couple years. the white donut peaches have been so sweet, juicy, my kids cannot stop devouring them. and the yellow nectarines are a revelation, full of that nectarine taste, crunchy and perfectly sweet / tart. and the yellow peaches have been nice, although could be a tad sweeter. all in all, nothing to complain about.

the first watermelons are promising as well, although haven’t had a great one (know its early still)…i’m praying for what i found in 2011 / 2012, which were perfect watermelons. since then, the drought or heat have really messed things up and they tend to be way too watery and not that deep lucious red.

Well it’s not the bay area but south in Santa Cruz .
I love this time of year for the FM. Purchased today
Baby wild leaf lettuce
Dry farmed early girl tomatoes
Fairy tales . These are super tiny Japanese eggplants around a inch long
Cauliflower
Peach , cheddar , and basil , pork sausages from El Salcichero
Baby red onions
Lot’s of good stuff happening . Pick up anything at your FM

1 Like

Faye Elberta peaches from Blossom Bluff are finally here, it’s the highlight of the peach season for me every year. They were small last week but I expect them to peak this week or next. Every year when I eat this peach for the first time, I wonder why I bother eating all the other peaches.

1 Like

How much are they?

Lemon cucumbers from Fifth Crow and Heirloom Organic are fab.

This year Suncrest productions were low from Frog Hollow. We’ve been bugging them for the dried Suncrests but were told they were out because they sold out in a week or two. We kept asking them and finally they found four bags for us. These are great, though pricey. Good for gifting out of state.

Went to a different market last weekend and tried some produce from Fully Belly Farm. Any recommendations for the farm?

$3.75 per pound minus 10% case discount if applicable. They didnt have any this week unfortunately.

I used to subscribe to their CSA back when I had time to wash greens. All of their produce is solid but I dont recall anything that was unusually excellent compared to the other farm box I’m familiar with, Mariquita.

That’s cheaper than Frog Hollow and Kashiwase. I have not seen them in the 5 or 6 markets around me, however, unfortunately. Good Eggs has some other varieties at $5/ lb. Ouch.

Elbertas and Faye Elbertas are not easy to find. They had some from another farm on Good Eggs for $5 per pound but I wasnt able to buy any before they sold out.

I wouldnt buy Blossom Bluff peaches for $5/lb if you can get Frog Hollow peaches for significantly less. The markup is just too high bc we eat close to 10 lbs of fruit a week.

Frog Hollow is $3.5/ lb for 10 lb box. $5 a pound is a bit steep. Blossom Bluff is at Ferry Building and Berkeley, right? Do you know if they work other markets?

I am not aware of other markets that Blossom Bluff attends.

Frog Hollow quit the Oakland downtown market unfortunately.