SF Bay Area Farmers' market good finds

We were at Stonestown market today and that reminded me that Inzana is there and usually has fun apple varieties as well. This week they had amazing looking organic figs next to Golden Dorset apples.

I love this variety of vendors AIM markets have.
Good bread meat and cheese vendors along with a strong variety of markets. There were even so avocados and pixie mandarins from Ojai.

Today the wonderful things were:

• Carrots at Avila farms
  • Everything at Simms Farm but we settled on squash and rosie choi
  • Everything at Midnite Bagel as usual LR
  • Rodriguez strawberries
  • Dirty Girl strawberries, lettuces and onions
  • Dried beans and potatoes at Blue House farms

Chilly but so worth it.

3 Likes

It was too cold and windy today so I didnā€™t go; I really wanted blueberries. Any dry farmed tomatoes yet?

A few weeks ago I tried very pricey ($8 tiny container) mulberries from Frog Hollow. Iā€™d never tried before: incredible. They said they are done for the season.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œAubergine, post:182, topic:70, full:trueā€]
It was too cold and windy today so I didnā€™t go; I really wanted blueberries. Any dry farmed tomatoes yet? [/quote]

Toscana had early girls that I assume are.

Yes, I have tried those. FH is almost always most expensive. I have a mulberry bush now because I cringe at costs like that.

Like Iacopi English peas for $30 a bagā€¦

1 Like

The smaller bag of peas is $12, still a lot of peas but the last batch 2 weeks ago werenā€™t that great. Some of the pears were busting out of their skins. I just eat them raw.

Where do you live? Do you think you will produce mulberries some day? Where did you buy bush?

I like to make David Lebovitzā€™ recipe for caponata; I prefer Chinese eggplants and I like to add roasted dry farmed tomatoes, like Tomatero stand.

The corn is excellent, pricey compared to grocery stores, but a million times better.

Bounty from this weekend

7 Likes

Gravensteins in small quantity were at Alemany yesterday. I donā€™t know the farm name but it is the large fruit forward stall to the left at the corner entrance.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

And another batch of Gravensteins at Walnut Creek this morning - Rose Lane Farms

1 Like

Thanks!

More great strawberries from Civic Center today (along with greens from Green Thumb)

5 Likes

Gravensteins are here with Devoto!

1 Like

Thank you!

Gravenstein apples in my CSA box! :heart_eyes: They are from John Kolling of Solana Gold Organics.

2 Likes

At Civic Center, some cranberry beans from Yerena. Havenā€™t decided what to do with them yet ā€” anyone have a favorite dish? Otherwise probably just do a non-soup pasta e fagioli with orecchiette.

Also some great little gems from Green Thumb (really my favorite for greens like these), dry-farmed Early Girls from Two Dog (also my favorite and finally theyā€™re here! but only a few yet and had to travel for them) so made a BLT with a mix of Best Foods and Kewpie with piparra peppers and some of their juice mixed in on sourdough.

9 Likes

Iā€™m buying dry-farmed Early Girls from Dirty Girl (at the Tuesday South Berkeley market) each week. Other vendors also have dry-farmed tomatoes, but Dirty Girlā€™s are always the best, and worth paying a little extra for.

4 Likes

GoodEggs has Gravenstein apples from Devoto Gardens $2.99/lb

2 Likes

A very small haul this week. The first market of the New Year as most of the markets near us were impacted by the holiday weekends which is both a blessing and a curse, no?

Because of the rain, only a few vendors were there. Mostly fruit and product, not a lot of veg-based farmers so by the late hour we got there, picking were slim, but not so slim that we couldnā€™t get what we needed.

1 Like

Nice! I got mostly the same stuff! What are you going to make with the beets? What will you do with the citrus? I have sooo many tangerines.

1 Like

Twinsie!
The beet greens and kale will be garlicky greens as a pasta side dish later this week. The beets will be roasted with olive oil & salt and kept for snacks and a hummus bowl lunch.
Mister is going to eat most of the mandarins but if I am lucky I will be able to steal a few to make a Nigella clementine cake. You can use any mandarins for it but I prefer when the skins are tight.
What are your plans?

Shrugs :thinking:

Iā€™m sure the beets will get roasted, but not sure what will happen after that. Maybe a salad.
Iā€™ll probably juice and drink most of the oranges, but Iā€™d love to try jam or ā€œjamaladeā€. I made jamalade last year and weā€™ve really enjoyed it.

1 Like