Sf Bay Area 23-24 Dungeness crab season! Time for the delay!

I am also a “minimalist”, at least for the first few of each time I buy. Steamed, and eaten at the counter near the sink. Some might make it into a simple salad, and some of that might get re-purposed into crab cakes.

I think I’ve made chili crab a few times, but I didn’t execute it well ( I’m watching Top Chef re-runs !)

3 Likes

from KRON TV -

First Lady Jill Biden ordered the crab roll in San Francisco at Popi’s Oysterette.

Chef Melissa Perfit offers some recipes.

5 Likes

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/dungeness-crab-season-gets-underway-amid-hope-for-relief-in-commercial-fish/

2 Likes

I went to County Square Market, just to see, not to buy (but I brought a cold bag and ice) but couldn’t resist. $6.99/pound! :open_mouth: That’s sort of scary. :grimacing:

I think they average about 1.5 pounds

Photo op!

Ooo! New resto with Hainanese chicken!

I can’t find the “Ode to Melanie Wong” with her steaming technique that used to be on Chowhound, but this should w;

9 Likes

8 Likes
3 Likes

$5.29 a pound @ Manila Oriental Market in Daly City.

5 Likes

Crab stock for gumbo.

8 Likes

Got two great specimens from a fisherman I know. He steamed them for us but didn’t crack them. We had them basically as is–they didn’t need any accompaniments besides melted butter, crusty bread, and some sparkling wine.

7 Likes

Today at Shun Fat Supermarket in Stockton, fresh dungees were $5.99/lb. I’m not good at estimating weight, but some of them were fairly large, so maybe 2 1/4 lbs?

2 Likes

99 Ranch in Daly City:

3 Likes

Whaaat?!? Did you get some? I got some yesterday at $6.99/lb.

4 Likes

Bought two jumbos at Sun’s Market in Millbrae today. Total weight was 5.05 pounds.

5 Likes

Score! What a crazy price! I’m going to have to follow up on how things are going with the fishermen/women.

Pacific Dream:

We will be selling crabs off the boat this Saturday before Super Bowl.

Pre-orders are recommended

$10 per crab.

Berkeley Marina, K-Dock, 7am-12pm

Text orders to (510) 322-0493

4 Likes

$4.99/lb seems to the going price in Oakland Chinatown. I’d to buy off a boat, let the risk takers get paid, but the limited times, and/or driving to Pillar Point is a long RT to the East Bay.

The Berkeley Marina looked promising but won’t be around at that time. There use to be a boat that sold in Emeryville a while back.

In any case, I think I’ll do one crab feed at my house with some friends, maybe get one here and there after. I like crab but taking it easy on the gorging as a retired glutton.

2 Likes

Perhaps; but I figure I work so hard getting them from tank to maw, that I have earned every little morsel!

1 Like

San Francisco boats selling direct from Pier 45:

6 Likes

Another San Francisco boat selling crab:

Jonathan’s Local Seafood Direct from the Fisherman:

We are headed out to the crab grounds! I am starting to take orders for crab for pickup. Text me at 1 (415) 713-6006 to order. Price is $9/lb. Special deal, buy 10, get 1 free. Will have some available for pickup Thursday.

4 Likes

What are they stored in ? No tanks needed?

1 Like