Seriously grease-gunked vent hood fan wheel - best degreaser?

We used to use Simple Green BITD but I think there are better and safer products out there now.

I was going to suggest Simple Green. Cuts through gunk quite effectively when used straight (not diluted), I’ve used it on my commercial vent hood baffles.

1 Like

Follow up. I simmered it a few hours last night in a water solution heavy in Dawn and TJ’s “Cedarwood” cleaner. Shut it off overnight as my wife has this thing about overnight simmering (before I started using the instant pot for all my broths, she’d insist on me shutting down bone simmer pots overnight).

I simmered a few more hours this afternoon when I got back from some errands and with a couple of old toothbrushes got all the loosened gunk off. It looks good. Reinstalled and it’s well-balanced and working right.

Thanks again all for all of your thoughts on this. If the TJ’s cleaner + Dawn hadn’t cut it (pun intended) I’d have moved on to some of the other suggestions.

I also took an old knife to the fan motor and scraped off an amazing amount of thickened gunk there, too.

4 Likes

My go to solution is industrial strength ammonia and chain scrubber or steel wool.

2 Likes

Score one for the Dawn, woohoo! I’m pretty sure Dawn would have done the job solo if you ever have a need for further experiments. (I use that same TJ’s cleaner on windows and like it a lot.)

Of course because you succeeded, your family will probably expect you to work similar magic in the future—says the person who “gets” to deep clean the outdoor grill here every season. :wink:

P.S. Off topic, Dawn is also handy for getting soap buildup out of sinks and tubs, if you apply a layer and allow it to sit before wiping away and following up with a rinse. Oh my, I feel like one of those old-timey household hints columnists.

2 Likes

In a wasp waist stiffly starched shirtdress and spike heels.

4 Likes

BS and vinegar, bud. Old school!

Doh!

Take out, down, apart and steam clean it. Melts right off.

Boiling a half gallon or more of white vinegar under it while it’s running will free it up and deodorize the whole affair, but of course is not as good as a real take down and cleaning.

1 Like