September–December 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Months: Sarah Kieffer's Blog and Books

Oops – to late to edit my own post, but bananas are freeze-dried, not dehydrated.

I just downloaded, thanks

1 Like

I was all set to make these and can’t find my poppy seeds; I have a feeling they are buried in my freezer and I’m not in the mood to go on a big dig.

So, I’ll buy more tomorrow.

To the experts on here: do you keep poppy seeds in your freezer?

1 Like

I keep them in the freezer. They can go rancid if kept a long time at room temperature.

3 Likes

OLIVE OIL COOKIES WITH PISTACHIOS AND LEMON GLAZE

We had a cookie swap at work, and this was one of the two recipes I tried. I followed the recipe pretty closely-- let the dough rest for 24 hours because I didn’t have time to bake the same day.

They came out beautifully. I thought the dough was easy to handle; it made about 30 cookies for me. The sweetness was nicely balanced between cookie and icing. And they won second in the swap (a surprise for me, I didn’t know we were voting). I added rosewater to the icing for the last few cookies because I’m a fan, and those came out well, too.

Edited to add link to recipe:

8 Likes

I took your advice, used cups. I like smaller cookies so used a 1 Tablespoon scoop. Didn’t bother to rotate pans, feel you lose temperature that way, mine took about 13 minutes, used 3
½ sheet pans since you must let cookies cool in pan.

I like them, thankfully not too sweet.

Next up: the Cardamom Poppy Seed cookies someone posted. Yesterday at Rainbow (a big Co-Op store with LOTS in bulk) I bought poppy seeds and ground cardamom, since I was low. WOW, what a difference in smell the fresh cardamom was! I think I should toss my older supply.

7 Likes

By the way, recipe says to use your Cuisinart to pulverize the ½ cup of freeze dried banana. If you have a mini chopper use that instead!!!

2 Likes

Well, everyone I’ve given these cookies to has loved them, ask for the recipe.

Winner, for sure!

2 Likes

FYI

Cardamom Braided Knots p. 59 The Vanilla Bean Baking Book. These use the same Sweet Dough as the cinnamon rolls. I made that last night. This morning, I started to make the buns, but quickly got tired of rolling, buttering and cardamom sugaring each individually, so I only made 4 and froze the rest of the dough.
These are delicious, but enormous—5” across. One recipe of the dough makes 12 generous cinnamon rolls in a 9”x13” pan, but only 8 of these buns.
With the rest of the dough I’ll make smaller rolls or a wreath.

13 Likes

I have never made these but love cardamom buns. Maybe this will be my Christmas holiday baking project. Have you tried any other cardamom bun recipes? Would you recommend this recipe? That bun is gorgeous.

It was delicious. I love this dough. I just wasn’t in the mood for the fiddly rolling out of 8 rectangles, buttering, sprinkling, rolling, chilling, cutting then twisting! I make just about all cardamom recipes I come across and this one is right up there.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know!

Cream Danish Danish page 179 100 Morning Treats
Danish Dough page276 " " "
The Danish Dough was made mid October and frozen because covid came for a visit. Instructions were easy and recipe makes 2lbs. I could see the laminated layers.
One of my worries was cutting out a perfect 5" square so i had my son print a 5"square on his 3D printer and all i had to do was press it on the dough and cut my square. I found doing the twist looked messy but it straightened out in the baking. 4 were made with cream cheese and curd filling and 4 with cream cheese filling and seedless jam. I still have a pound of dough frozen to play around with. These were so good store bought will never do.

11 Likes

They look great! We love a good berry-ful kite.

I’ve been on the fence about this book for some time - your post convinced me I needed it. It’s on the way.

Thanks. You wont regret it.

Cardamom Bundt cake with coffee glaze from the morning bakes book. We loved this just as much as the cardamom layer cake with coffee frosting from Vanilla Bean. My aunt today asked for “half a slice” and after one bite she asked for the other half. Sorry for the terrible nighttime picture.

8 Likes

Have you tried the coffee and cardamom marble pound cake from Ottolenghi and Goh’s Sweet? I can also recommend the coffee cardamom walnut cakes from the Violet Bakery Cookbook.

This looks DELICIOUS.

4 Likes

Yes to the first but no to the second. I will have to have a look as I do tend to make all the cardamom cakes I come across.

1 Like