September–December 2023 Baking Cookbook of the Months: Sarah Kieffer's Blog and Books

Have you tried the coffee and cardamom marble pound cake from Ottolenghi and Goh’s Sweet? I can also recommend the coffee cardamom walnut cakes from the Violet Bakery Cookbook.

This looks DELICIOUS.

4 Likes

Yes to the first but no to the second. I will have to have a look as I do tend to make all the cardamom cakes I come across.

1 Like

Is there a baking cookbook of the quarter for the first quarter of 2024?

Planning to post the nomination thread when I have a minute (soon).

3 Likes

New nomination thread:

PASSION FRUIT AND CRÈME FRAÎCHE BREAKFAST SQUARES p.85

Passion fruit is my absolute favourite so I knew I had to make this. I love cake wholeheartedly, but not for breakfast. Every time I see a cake recipe that says it’s perfect for breakfast I shake my head. While I can see the appeal of a coffee cake or banana bread, this cake has absolutely no connection to breakfast, except that it uses a bit of fruit purée.
That said, I’m so glad this cake was in the 100 Morning Treats book. It is delicious and I had a hard time pausing my taste testing yesterday to eat dinner. I am not fond of refrigerated butter cakes so I found that an odd instruction. It was tender and moist at warm and room temperature yesterday, but the piece I brought on my lunch today was dense and less flavourful when chilled.
I should have taken a picture before i took the cake out of the pan using its sling, as the icing wrinkled. Maybe chilling would have prevented that, but even the wrinkles taste good.

9 Likes

100 Morning Treats has so many straight-up cake recipesI I like cake for breakfast sometimes, but only in the sense of leftover dessert from the night before.

1 Like

Looks luscious, would love a piece right now.

Did you buy passion fruit pulp or did you find fresh fruits?

I’d love to make this but am on hold to get the ebook from my library.

It’s available on Hoopla through SFPL, no wait time necessary!

1 Like

I recently received my copy, and at first glance, I too was put off by all the frosted cake recipes up front. My teeth were starting to hurt just looking at the pictures.

I’m on my second take of the book, though, and am finding several pastrified and not-so-sugary morning foods in there that I’m tempted to make. @Stef_bakes numerous reviews of bakes from this book also were very helpful.

The final section on base doughs and breads is probably of most interest (to me), but I see some muffins and scones which are calling my name, as well. Just not the frosted cakes and buns…

I agree, there are lots of breakfast-y quick breads/breads/pastries, as one would expect. Although, SK uses the same base recipe for all the muffins and I’d have to scale the sugar down because in most of them it’d generally be too sweet for me as written, but especially as a morning treat (I don’t want breakfast muffins that are cake-sweet).

1 Like

I do buy lots of fresh passion fruit, but I used frozen pulp for this.

Thanks, downloading now. I miss Overview, that SF LIbrary discontinued so just go to Libby now.

I don’t think I’ve seen fresh passion fruit in stores, maybe Ranch 99 will have frozen?

It’s not just SFPL, Overdrive (the company) discontinued the Overdrive app in favor of Libby. I always start with the library’s website, which will tell you where you can access an ebook, since Libby (and Overdrive before it) will only tell you if it has copies in that system, and not if it’s available on Hoopla.

1 Like

The latest New Yorker, January 15, has an interesting article about passion fruit.

1 Like

Thanks for that! The author is similarly obsessed. I even have vines growing but no fruit in these northerly latitudes. Yet….
My aunt used to bring me back a shopping bag full multiple times a year from the Dominican Republic and when I visited Australia one Christmas from Japan, I brought a case back with me. Now I have to consent myself with the $0.99 ones and frozen pulp.

The author says she has paid $5 just for one!

I’m surprised you were allowed to bring back fruit from another country!

1 Like

CINNAMON SCONES FROM 100 MORNING TREATS - P. 57

I chose this recipe because 1) I found the addition of small bits of cinnamon-butter interesting. 2) it calls for sour cream (and egg) as the liquid, and I have a lot of sour cream to use up. I made a half batch for 4 scones, and since this would require ½ whole egg + ½ yolk, I just used one large whole egg minus 1 t. of white. As it were, I had to add in 1 t. of cream to bring the dough together.

I mixed by hand (recipe calls for a mixer), working in the first round of butter with my fingers and leaving largish flakes, and then grating in the cinnamon-butter, leaving smallish flakes. The look and feel (and sound) of the cinnamon-butter flakes as they went in was quite appealing, and I feel I learned a new thing here.

I did not ice the scones after baking, and instead finished them off with a swipe of cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar before baking. I gave the scones 10 minutes in the oven before doubling the sheet-pan (she suggests doubling the sheet pan from the get-go), and the bake took 28 minutes to just over 200 degrees internal temp.

They toppled over, as you can see, but otherwise these were a hit. Nice, sconey texture with a hint of cinnamon. They would go great with a cup of coffee.

13 Likes

BUTTERMILK CINNAMON ROLLS, pg. 117 of 100 Morning Treats
These produce a classic cinnamon roll. You might call the dough “fool-proof” since I accidentally left it on the counter overnight after just one turn (instructions were 4 turns, total 2 hours out, then overnight in the fridge) and they still came out perfectly.
Classic as these are, making these made me realize that cinnamon rolls are actually rather one-note, or maybe two – cinnamon and sweet. Just generic “sweet,” not especially interesting. It appears I’ve outgrown the classic cinnamon roll just as I’ve outgrown most candies. That said, my nine-year-old took two bites and declared “These are good, but they’re not as good as the last ones you made.” Those were made with spelt flour, from the book Mother Grains. The whole grain added complexity but still had a pleasing (though not as cloud-like, of course) texture.
I would still call this my new go-to recipe if I’m going to make cinnamon rolls for anyone who will expect the classic version.

8 Likes