September–December 2022 Baking Cookbook of the Months Nominations

MOMOFUKU MILK BAR (could be paired with their MILK BAR: ALL ABOUT CAKE)
BOUCHON BAKERY
revisit of BRAVETART

MOONCAKES & MILK BREAD Kristina Cho
THE VANILLA BEAN BAKING BOOK Sarah Kieffer

MOONCAKES AND MILKBREAD
SNACKABLE BAKES. Have the 2 baking books

BOUCHON BAKERY T. Keller

SNACKABLE BAKES is a sentence

2 Likes

Just around three days left, so get those nominations in!

2 Likes

revisit of BRAVETART

Nominations are now closed. Once I’ve created a voting thread, I’ll link to it here.

Find the voting thread here:

Find the reporting thread here:

1 Like

Jan–April 2023 nominations are open.

1 Like

I’m nominating 2 baking books that i got recently
GATEAU
WHAT’S FOR DESSERT

I’m very interested in Gateau, can you tell me about the measurements please?

Gateau is a book with very simple recipes. She states that these are the kind of things the French bake at home. Recipes are given in volume and weights. I like to bake in weights. She will give the recipe in weights but there is never a weight for butter. What the heck is 14 tablespoons. I have been converting myself assuming 14grms is 1 tablespoon. I havent looked at the recipes close enough to see if there are other errors. Maybe Nannybakes will see this and have more to say.

1 Like

Should your nomination be on the 2023 Nomination Thread? I will put a nom for GATEAU there, as well.

@Stef_bakes Munchkin Redux is correct, you will need to nominate in the current thread.

The tablespoons of butter are a US convention. Our 4 oz sticks of butter are usually marked in 8 tablespoon divisions on their labels, so 14-14.5g is correct, and 14 tablespoons essentially equals 200g. (The markings are an easy way to divide fractions of a stick of butter in the US, but since they’re sold in round ounces, fractions aren’t quite as neat in grams.)

1 Like

I use 200g. as the weight for the butter as Caitlin has mentioned. As I’ve mentioned previously, it’s a little annoying to have weight and volume measurements mixed in the ingredient list. For example, a 1/2 c. oil, 1/2 c. yogurt. It would be far preferably to have given weights rather than volume for all the ingredients. The recipes which I have made so far are mostly variations on the yogurt cakes, of which there are many. They have all been more than satisfactory. I also subbed sour cream for the yogurt on one occasion and needless to say, it was very successful. One of the cakes I had made for Christmas was the lemon verbena cake with raspberries rather than peaches. I had pulverized the verbena leaves with sugar and froze it in appropriate quantities…not a piece left, which surprised me. The David Lebovitz chocolate cupcakes were fine but there are more interesting chocolate cupcakes out there, would not bother a repeat on that. On balance, a very nice cookbook, my granddaughter has made the chocolate marble cake and the apple clafloutis , both were well received. I expect to continue baking from the book.
ETA…I also made the chocolate bouchons which were quite good and would repeat.

2 Likes

Its a job half done

She is such an experienced writer that I almost feel that this was done purposely to emphasize the “home aspect”. Doesn’t work so good in our homes :grin:

That makes sense