September 2017 Home Cooking DOTM: BALL SHAPED FOOD

Thanks. What is cream of rice? Ground cooked rice?

Yes. Ground rice but not sure if it’s cooked or just ground. Thinking not cooked

I’ll see if it exits here. If not I could just finely grind some rice. Since it will be added to the meat mass I don’t think it needs to be cooked before grinding.

I’m thinking it’s just ground rice

Thanks! Another question, what is little Mama spice mix, what are the ingredients?

Is it the texture of rice flour? or more rough?

It’s the texture of cream of wheat, a rough grind, as for porridge, rather than a fine flour grind.

Glad to see you posting, Scoob.

It’s baharat spice mix. I’ll post a page from her cookbook later

Cream of Rice is precooked parboiled rice with added B vitamins that has been finely ground so you just add water or milk to make a hot cereal like farina.

Ingredients:

Granulate Rice. Vitamins and Minerals: Ferric Phosphate (Source of Iron), Niacinamide, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2).

A little thick congee run through a blender or food processor, or other similar starch to bind, should work just as well.

Thanks Viking

Here is an alternate recipe using bulghur wheat instead:

2 lbs finely ground beef or lamb, lean, divided
1/2 lb. bulghur cracked wheat, medium or #2
1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 medium onions, 1 finely chopped, and 1 coarsely chopped, divided
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
vegetable oil for frying

How to Make It
In a medium bowl, soak wheat for 30 minutes in cold water. Remove and drain. Remove excess water by squeezing through thick paper towel or cheesecloth. Place into medium bowl and combine with 1 lb. meat, coarsely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Combine well and place small amount in food processor until doughlike consistency. You can slowly add an ice cube at a time during processing if needed. Place mixture aside, covered. Instead of using a food processor, you can use a mortar and pestle, however it will take you over an hour to achieve desired consistency.

Kibbeh can also be rolled into balls or patties, and either baked or cooked in broth.

What You’ll Need
2 lbs finely ground beef or lamb, lean, divided
1/2 lb. bulghur cracked wheat, medium or #2
1 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
2 medium onions, 1 finely chopped, and 1 coarsely chopped, divided
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
vegetable oil for frying

How to Make It
In a medium bowl, soak wheat for 30 minutes in cold water. Remove and drain. Remove excess water by squeezing through thick paper towel or cheesecloth. Place into medium bowl and combine with 1 lb. meat, coarsely chopped onion, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.

Combine well and place small amount in food processor until doughlike consistency. You can slowly add an ice cube at a time during processing if needed. Place mixture aside, covered. Instead of using a food processor, you can use a mortar and pestle, however it will take you over an hour to achieve desired consistency.

Prepare Kibbeh Stuffing
In a medium frying pan, saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil. Add pine nuts if desired. Add ground lamb or beef and chop well with wooden spoon or spatula to ensure the meat is chopped. Add allspice, salt, pepper, and cumin. Once beef is light brown, remove from heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Assemble Kibbeh and Fry
Take an egg sized amount of shell mixture and form into a ball. With your finger, poke a hole in the ball, making a space for filling. Add filling and pinch the top to seal the ball. You can then shape it into a point, or football shape, or leave as a ball.
Fry in 350 degree oil on stove top or in deep fryer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Makes 25 medium sized kibbeh.

Tips
Kibbeh can be stored in the freezer in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Prepare and do not fry.

That’s a recipe for the fried variety of kibbeh. The soup kibbeh is different and definitely has an Iraqi origin

1 Like

Baharat spice is common throughout the Middle East, it’s like their version of five spice powder.

Typical ingredients include allspice, cardamom, cloves, cumin and black pepper, all finely ground.

There are lots of variants.

2 Likes

It’s actually very similar to 5 spice powder

Recipe is from Saad Fayed and is supposed to be Iraqi.

I wonder how they would hold in a soup. You will find similar kibbeh called Kubba that are soup varieties

This looks like an interesting appetizer.
Deep-fried lychees stuffed with minced shrimp (Northern Thai) from klyeoh’s latest post here.

2 Likes

Hmm. Trying to decide how lychees would work in savory. Not managing to wrap my head around it.