Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2022 Openings and Closings [Boston, New England]

Looks like I forgot to start a September thread so I will just make a two month one now.

1 Like

We already have one closing report, sadly.

1 Like

Also saw that Eldo Cake House in Chinatown closed. Huge loss as it had the best curry beef turnovers.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a bummer. I used to love going there for the old school ham and egg buns and getting a lemon iced tea (classic HK style).

2 Likes

Darwin’s is closing all of their (Cambridge) locations later this month. There’s a lot of conjecture as to why, which I won’t get into here. They filled a niche and will be missed by many. Hopefully something comparable and useful goes into those spaces. We really don’t need any more banks or weed shops.

3 Likes

All? Oh, I didn’t know, I read a while back that they were closing on the Harvard Square store, the original. Wonderful store and cafe. Maybe Steve’s just tired of it after all these years, and then the union.

1 Like

I didn’t know of this either. Darwin’s meant little to us before September 2011 and after June 2015, but in the 4 intervening years while our daughter was at Rindge and Latin it meant a lot. We were there probably twice (or even more often) every week. The closing of the Cambridge street store will be a blow to future high school parents and to the teachers. (The students themselves went for the pizza next door or the pizza place on Broadway.)

2 Likes

on the heels of this unhappy news, cafe madeleine in the south end has closed. pre-covid, i worked in the area and for a treat would go for best croissants this side of paris — especially the ham and cheese. had looked forward to returning, but sadly, not.

5 Likes

Hey all - haven’t been posting much. . . maybe there is a November post but . . .

Waltham has a lot of changes happening -

Charcoal Guidos closed a while ago, and the new place DaVinci’s looks like it is about ready to open.

The Gaff - a long standing institution on Moody street is closing (actually pretty surprised).

Bison County closed during the pandemic - the sign for the new place has gone up, Taste House (if memory serves) is going in, an Asian bar/restaurant. An online article sounds like they are going to be doing Sichuan.

A new greek place opened further up on Moody, Aegean. Sounds like it is a new outpost of a place that closed out in Framingham.

Excited about all the new places, but the Gaff still surprises me. Not that it was a culinary destination but it was a nice little local hole in the wall.

4 Likes

The Gaff will remain open until the end of the month and will reopen in January under new ownership (Deep Ellum). The current owners have another establishment up in Beverly that they are going to turn their attention to full time. Some of the current Gaff staff have either migrated up there or will be doing so once everything wraps up. In talking to staff there this past weekend, things never quite bounced back the way they hoped after the pandemic shut downs. Once Deep Ellum was interested, things progressed fairly quickly.

4 Likes

Thanks for the intel

3 Likes

Happy to share! It also sounds like, with the rapidly increasing gentrification of the Moody Street (and surrounding) area, rents have started to climb in an impactful way to some businesses.

1 Like

Here’s an article on the closing of Charcoal Guido’s and information on the new owner, Peppino Singh:

I thought I’d heard that the guys that owned Guido’s also owned the space Amuleto is in, but so far they don’t seem to be going anywhere.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

A neighbor just told me that Taipei Gourmet in Lexington will close. @GretchenS

It closed a couple of weeks back. She wasn’t able to continue the business due to labor costs. Rumors about “them” retiring or that they sold the building are untrue. Eva was the one running the business, and she was renting. The place will be sorely missed. I went about twice a month for the last 10 years.

1 Like

@digga @Ferrari328 that is such sad news, I absolutely loved that place and Eva!! I’m devastated.

1 Like

While there isn’t an ETA on an opening date (might even extend to next year based on the fly by last weekend), there is a Tous Les Jour Cafe coming to Billings Rd in North Quincy. They already have the storefront signage up, but the windows are still papered over so tough to see the progress.

While I could not find any signs of work for the life of me, Bonchon’s main website also shows a site “coming soon” in North Quincy also on Billings Rd. This will be just down the street from the still relatively new bb.q fried chicken. So we’re having a little mini Korean explosion there on Billings Rd. Give me a few more good full service Korean sit down restaurants and I’ll be completely sold.

3 Likes

Comella’s appears to have opened in the former Loading Dock space on Brighton Street, Belmont.

2 Likes

Yup apparently they sold their recipes and retired. I’m really, really bummed as I often drove 40 minutes from the Canton-area to dine there and used to be a regular back when I resided closer, in Waltham. Their food was succulent and the service was awesome. Such an underrated spot that I will dearly, dearly miss.

1 Like