Sefarat, West Orange

Due to a meeting in the area found myself at Sefarat, West Orange today for a little Turkish carryout.

Really good takeout.

I got the lunch special with a Shepherds salad and döner kebab. Everything was fresh and delicious. The Shepherds salad was finely chopped, was flavored with mint, parsley and just the right amount of really good olive oil, and was a generous portion.

The kebab was also a fair portion, although it was so good I wished there was more. It was served on a tasty pilaf that was maybe a tad overcooked, could have a little dryer for my taste. A fresh red cabbage slaw with carrots and a tub of minty yogurt garlic sauce rounded out the entree, which also came with lots of fresh baked farmer bread and a coke. The spices on the döner were authentic, this was not a repurposed gyro. All was $12.95 which I thought was a fair price given the freshness and quality. It was also more food than I could reasonably eat, but then I’m not Not JR…

If I lived closer I would certainly hurry back for the Iskender and the Kofte which both looked delicious. They also have numerous vegetarian options amongst the 70 odd dishes on the menu. The dining room featured a nice clean interior with white table cloths, so it would be a most acceptable option for Helga too.

Finally, this is a small family run place. So I would encourage you to support them if you are a fan of Turkish food as I am. You will like it.

1 Like