Seed saving advice requested

My kale is bolting, and I’d love to gather the pods at the right moment so that I can harvest the seeds. Is there a good method for letting them mature while also keeping them from scattering? In my head I see some kind of net bag, but I could be overthinking things.

1 Like

Mrs. ricepad saves a lot of different seeds from the garden, both vegetable and ornamentals. Her general method is to let the seeds mature on the plant, then carefully snip the seed heads off and gently rub the seeds off over a large roasting pan. She also harvests quite a bit of duff in the process, but separating out that chaff is usually not very difficult. Some plants, like okra and beans, are super easy, where the pods split and the seeds just fall right out. Others, like poppies, take more time. She learned this year that spinach seeds have a weird spiky hull that commercial operations somehow separate from the seeds.

One time I had suggested putting net bags over them as you’re considering, but she didn’t think it’d be worth the hassle.

1 Like

Thanks - this is what I’ve done in the past, with mustard, cilantro, etc. I just want to make sure I time it right. There’s kale growing on the lawn of my apartment building, and guess whose fault that probably is.

2 Likes

I think bagging makes a difference during pollinator activity with varieties you don’t want crossed. I have no idea if that applies to kale, but I’m guessing it’s past that time anyway. Good luck!

1 Like

No, the point is to collect the seeds before the pods burst and they scatter.

2 Likes