Seattle Trip Report

I spent a few days in Seattle eating at some far flung destinations. Only one downtown, one South, two North and one East in Bellevue.

In downtown Seattle, ate at Bangrak Market, set up to approximate the look of a night market in Thailand. Open until 2am on Friday and Saturday. This s a colorful place serving enormous portions of gorgeous food, family style. It’s almost a shame to come here as only a table for two.

We ordered three items, one of which was hugely successful. The som tom mua is a green papaya salad with baby crabs, fermented fish, crispy anchovy, bean sprouts, tomatoes, fresh herbs, rice vermicelli, lime. This was the ideal of a Thai salad, with chopped red onion and thai eggplant that were far more ‘rough-cut’ than I normally see. The crispy anchovy were like a super crunchy snack that provided an exciting texture. Ordered at level 3 spiciness, which was just enough to give it some zip without being overwhelming. This alone was enough to feed two hungry people.

We were not as successful with the other items. The goay teaw nam sai is a clear ‘comforting’ noodle soup with BBQ pork, fish balls, bean sprouts, and roasted garlic oil. Maybe too clear! I was hoping for some flavor.

The kao soi chiang mai here is served as a big bowl of gravy, not as the soup that I normally think of. It was beautifully presented with an imposing tower of crunchy noodles on top., but was not nearly as potent/flavorful as I can get close to home.

In the north, I tried Friendship BBQ for Xinjiang food. Ordered mostly skewers. The fish tofu was my favorite. Others were mostly good. Large menu which we did not explore.

I was curious about ordering the Nancheng banfen at Cafe Rain. I’ve never seen this on a menu before. It is from the Jiangxi province. Consists of thick round rice noodles, peanuts, bok choy, preserved egg, roasted cork kernels, and chili oil. Unfortunately the noodles had no texture and come out like bad spaghetti. There is a choice of other proteins.

Out East, I went to the oldest Hunan restaurant in Bellevue, Little Garden. The only Hunan place in the DC area closed down years ago, and I remember having some sublime dishes featuring smoky preserved pork and also pickled vegetables.

Armed with a rec of cured duck with dried daikon from Eater.com, I ordered that plus I ordered, from the specials menu on the wall, a pickled fried rice.

I have to say that dried daikon is maybe the weirdest ingredient ever. It is like eating rubber bullets. The cured duck was okay, but nothing thrilling. The fried rice, made with pickled peppers, was way too oily and was otherwise flavorless.

South of Seattle, I stopped in at the Stone House Cafe near Seward Park, serving mostly breakfast items and salads until 3 pm. Great care went into the chorizo hash and the chicken caesar. A perfect stop. Seward Park is totally gorgeous, a peninsula sticking out into Lake Washington with a magnificent , rocky forest and dazzling shoreline. Went there twice.

Finally, hit the Seattle Chocolate Factory Store near the airport. Very fun, and they make an array of superb chocolate bars.

13 Likes

No comments? I just joined this site and this is the first posting from my area I’ve seen. Thank you for such a detailed report and the lovely photos. The Nanchang Banfen dish looks really enticing. I’m sorry the noodles were such a disappointment. One little nitpick: Seward Park is part of Seattle, the south end, but not south of Seattle.

3 Likes

Good to have you aboard. HO right now is concentrated elsewhere, but maybe you can jump start interest in the Pacific Northwest. There’s a a good chance I’ll be back in Seattle come December. At the very least I’d love to hear about new discoveries.

I find that, even with no response, HO is a great place to write down your thoughts, and they help me jump start my memory. Prevents me from repeating my own mistakes!

3 Likes

Seattle is a distant neighborhood for me, but I’m happy to share any info about Bellingham which is 100 miles north, a worthy visit in and of itself, and also on the route to Vancouver.

1 Like

What are your latest Bellingham faves?

Lately we’ve enjoyed Bellingham Cider’s fare–I think their kitchen has hit its stride. I detest the Malldom of Bellisfair, but I will suppress it if I’m headed to the Birch Door.

Still mourning the closing of Home Skillet.

Aside: Have you tried any places on Vancouver’s Commercial Street?

1 Like

When we’ve recently gone to van it’s been to Richmond for Asian. Nothing new and notable in the ham.

1 Like

Great report! Dried daikon shouldn’t be like rubber bullets. Sounds like it was cooked without being properly rehydrated first.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.