Searzall Review

Another first rate review. Thanks! I think I’m keeping it on my “maybe I need it” list.

1 Like

Great review!

I’m in that user group that would wind up burning down my house when I fired this up for the first time.

Toasting bread with the Searzall seems to be a little overkill, especially with the pre-seasoning?

Hi Kaleo,

The searzall would be a great thing to have if had (1) Iunlimited funds, (2) unlimited storage space, and (3) and were ready for my wife to move out of the house.

Thanks for the great review.

I have one. Don’t use it enough but found the screws that hold the cap and screen frozen so I can not replace the screen if I wanted to. Will have to drill them out at some point

True, but it’d be preferable to waiting 7 minutes for the Breville “smart” oven to make toast…

Oh, it will toast in under 7 min. My only real problem with the searzal is that the cooking area is kinda small. For small items it’s fine but for bigger jobs it suffers

1 Like

If you’re getting flames like you mention, then it isn’t put together or adjusted correctly. the smallest amount off and you have a huge difference in the flame, or lack thereof.

It is assembled and adjusted precisely per the instructions.

What might benefit from adjustment is the flame setting on the TS-8000 valve body. The instructions say wide open, and that’s where I have it. What say you, should I dial it back?

1 Like

Your flame looks about right for a wide open TS-8000

The large 16.4 oz size gas cans add some stability but mine goes in the garage on the concrete floor with a wide clearing around it to cool

Try adjusting the gap by a fraction. The one they give you the small stick to set. I played with that a few weeks ago when we discussed the flame throughput. It was terribly finicky, but I got it so that on full throttle not as much flame went through, but the screens heated up visibly hotter. It was a hairs diameter difference and took me awhile to get right, mostly because of the cool off time.

Thanks. Did you end up widening or narrowing the gap compared to the matchstick? If it was wider, how much wider than the supplied matchstick? Half again? Double? More? If it was narrower, how much use has it had since adjustment (I worry about the $30 screens burning through)?

Considering Arnold’s had 4 years in development and production, you’d think any necessary fine-tuning would be included in the instructions.

This Thanksgiving, I used my Searzall to (a) even out the browning on my turkey; and (b) crisp up the obligatory greenbean casserole and pan stuffing. It really helped bring things together that otherwise would have suffered from an overcrowded single oven.

Aloha,
Kaleo

2 Likes

When I’m holding my TS-8000 plus Searzall upside down, flame goes out after 10 sec or so. I take it back in normal position, try to ignite it again, and the it works. But can’t use it upside down. Is it possible because I use Rothenberger butane/propane mix (Rothenberger multigas 300 - 35% propane, 65% butane)?

1 Like

Hi, Edwin, and Welcome:

I don’t know, good question. I use the squat-er propane bottles. Sometimes, when the bottle is low, the flame will go out. I’ve always assumed this is an internal feed tube issue when the bottle/torch is tipped. Why don’t you try one o these bottles and see if you have an issue?

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

It’s good to see you back, Kaleo!

Kaleo, what do you mean with ‘squat-er propane bottles’? Is squat-er a brand or type? Based in Europe, so never heard of it… Thanks for helping

Hi, Edwin:

What I mean is that, in the USA anyway, there are two main configurations of small propane bottles: (1) a taller, narrower 14.1 oz–about 27cm tall; and (2) a shorter, wider 16oz–about 20cm tall. Checking both, they are 100% propane. Here’s a photo to show the difference. I warn against using the 14.1 oz, because it is tippy to stay with, and dangerously so with the Searzall mounted. In fact, I even recommend getting a separate “camping” base to widen even the 16 oz. bottles.

What torch head are you using? The Searzall will only live up to its potential mated with the BernzOmatic TS8000. It will bolt up to the TS4000, but the heat output is too low to be effective.

You need to be careful about running mixed or different gases. MAPP will ruin the screen. I’m unsure what damage mixing butane and propane could do.

Aloha,

Kaleo

propane%20base

I have the BernzOmatic TS8000 with the Searzall. I’ll look for one of those wider propane bottles to see how that works. Will keep you informed.
Thanks Kaleo.

Been a long time since I used my Searzall. Wasn’t thrilled with the torch taste to try to achieve the crust which is better using more conventional methods