Scraping the plastic jar and other microplastic challenges

Thermoworks has a thing called a spoonula in various sizes. Silicone blade/bowl. They work well for emptying the jars, but less so at spreading.

On a related front, there are microplastic cannister filters available for drinking and cooking water. I only know this because I recently bought a reusable one for my clothes washer drain hose. It turns out that all those synthetic and -blend fabrics are a major source of microplastic water pollution. I had a more selfish reason for buying–microplastics are a major, if not the leading, cause of failures of septic tank drainfields. You should see the stuff that comes out of that screen!

Of course this still doesn’t answer his Q as to how to empty a plastic peanut butter jar with the right utensil. But we’re getting there.

I conclude there is nothing better than silicone, but it is not stiff enough to be ideal IMO.

Me too, and shake like crazy, for dressings. Same with mustard, but I use cider vinegar for honey mustard dressing, I do have a small rubber spatula that works well also. I’m Scots so waste not, want not.

2 Likes

My finger.

Index, to be exact.

2 Likes

Take a pair of scissors and cut the package in half. Et voila… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use vinegar, same idea.

2 Likes

My mom got me the nicest set of mini spatulas. Of all the crap she’s gotten me, these are the prize. Love 'em. Perfect firmness, can get almost anywhere, anything in a jar, it owns.

If I can find one of those, I just use a wire brush.

1 Like

Hold up! You buy Dukes AND Hellman’s.

I use my pinky for those squeezers, too.

I grew up on the east coast and ate Hellman’s , but it’s Best Foods ( and low carb) for me in California until tomato season.

Then it’s Duke’s up!

4 Likes

You certainly grow scrumptious looking tomatoes. I’d guess they taste every bit as good as they look. Tomatoes and mayo are true mates.

I like Dukes and Hellman’s. I like the Aldi stuff: Burman’s, Burnham’s(?) Whatever I use, I like to get that last bit.

1 Like

Squeeze bottles help, but I also hate the idea of more plastic jars unless they are recycleable. I have a small spatula-like scraper with a rubber tip to get those hard to reach areas in a jar, and I also have a long silicon spreader that works well. No scraping off bits of microplastic for me.

2 Likes

And for those unable to get Duke’s where they live, an egg yolk, a tsp. of Dijon, a pinch of salt, the juice of a tart lemon (not a Meyer!), and a cup of peanut oil is pretty close.

2 Likes

Dukes = no sugar or HFCS. Take THAT, Miracle Whip! :joy::joy:

We were a Hellman’s home, until Duke’s became available.

2 Likes

Duke from the source is usually cheaper than Amazon. Right now it says
USE PROMO CODE “MOREDUKES” FOR 10% OFF YOUR ORDER AT DUKESMAYO.COM

They now have squeeze packs! Are these not recyclable?

I get no kick backs but I’m an even bigger fan because the customer service was superb when someone stole my mayo and was shipping an empty box.

That’s who I ordered my stash from when I wouldn’t leave Casa Meekah to forage in the pandemic swamp. Amazon prices were ridiculous.

First of all, I had no idea that Duke’s was available in 8 oz jars. In recent months the price has sky rocketed from $3.59 to over $6 (like all name brand mayo) for a 30 oz jar. I refuse to pay that. This is slightly embarrassing to admit but I bought WM brand the last time around. While we liked Duke’s, we’re not really mayonnaise aficionados so it works for us.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What is WM brand?

Walmart aka Great Value. You probably wouldn’t like it.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am prepared to give it an open-minded tasting as soon as I am confident that the practices chronicled in Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Erenreich have been completely and appropriately addressed.

2 Likes