Scotch

I am with you in that Lagavuiln is about as smoky as I prefer. Laphroaig is too smoky/peaty for my tastes. I enjoyed it, but not as much as other bottles. Also, i added more water than usual.

I definitely do tend toward the Islays, though I am not a total smoke/peat fiend. I look for bottles with a complex finish more than anything. Mortlach Rare Old is a Speyside I enjoy, and you may as well based on your tastes. Lowlands scotches tend to be too light in character for me, however Glenkinchie 1991 Distillers Edition is one Lowlands offering that I enjoyed.

Thanks for this! I like it lighter and smoother like that. The wine shop near my house doesn’t have the Distiller’s Edition at the moment but maybe another one does (haven’t looked up). If I come across it I’ll check it out. Until then I probably go for the 16 years old one first.

Cheers

1 Like

I highly recommend the Jura Turas Mara although it won’t be found on the high street. For more winter sipping, a Dalmore Reserva can be a dream. And I just tried a Balvenie triple cask that was lovely and smooth.

1 Like

Yah, I don’t think I’ve seen either at our store.

I think we just got in that Balvenie at the store I work at, Ill have to check to see if I can afford it…

Posted this elsewhere but should have probably posted here.
Anyway a big fan of Bowmore 18 but it’s £80 a bottle in the UK. However if you’re ever in Glasgow you can probably get a single measure for around £4.50 in a pub which is pretty good value to try a great whisky.

3 Likes

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=kennys+father+south+park&fr=yfp-t-s-m&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F4.images.southparkstudios.com%2Fimages%2Fsh

It is also our strategy sometimes to take advantage of being out for a dram to try something unknown without confronting the whole bottle for better or for worse.

1 Like

Got the “rare cask” a few weeks back. Haven’t opened it yet. My standard is the 12 years double cask.

Sometimes I steep dried figs in it…

1 Like

I actually had a pour of Aberlour A’bunadh this evening before making dinner

1 Like

Cracked open a Xmas present tonight. A taster selection of scotch in unusual casks. A bit light and floral compared to my usual Islay malts but nice nonetheless.

2 Likes

Last year’s unexpected Costco bargain:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I haven’t had JW Black Label for a while but I quite like it. As it’s more peated
I bought this a while ago when I was short of money. Not great

If you like whisky aged in a sherry cask this is a good option. Not all that common in The UK. Not sure how easy it is to get hold of where you are ? ( it’s blended by a wine merchant founded in 1698)
10003082002-ms

1 Like

One of the few references I’ve seen over the years concerning Famous Grouse is that it was Princess Margaret’s drink of choice. And if you can believe Pat Booth’s novel Palm Beach. And I do. She was quite a character down there in her house in Mustique. But she didn’t exactly sound like my cup of tea.

I cut my teeth on Glenmorangie so when it comes to Scotch it’s what I typically drink. I also have a Macallan 12 which is nice.

Yeah, I can’t imagine anyone getting Famous Grouse for sipping pleasure. It’s for mixing or to get bladdered. I mean, I guess as far as a supermarket blended goes, sure, but there’s so much that’s better.

1 Like

I completely agree. I normally drink Lagavulin. At the time I couldn’t afford £50 a bottle. I certainly wasn’t going to buy Teachers or Bells. I suppose the real issue is, is bad whisky better than no whisky?

1 Like

A question for the ages or sages.

1 Like

First whisky is not strictly Scotch as it’s from Wales Very nice though, Madeira cask and you can certainly smell the Christmas cake aromas.

Second one tonight is something of a mystery Islay Malt. I’m not sure what distilleries they source their whisky(s) from but it reminds me very much of Caol Ila.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying the Robert Burns single malt.

1 Like