Sayings on this or that or anything in your kitchen.

“Never trust a skinny cook”

“Drink no wine before it’s time. It’s time!”

“If mama ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy”

Most of this stuff is at least 25 years old.:slightly_smiling_face:

Please feel free to add your own.

1 Like

“i enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.” - Julia Child

"I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I’m under the table,
after four I’m under my host.” - (probably not) Dorothy Parker (but I like it anyway)

I may be due for an intervention, come to think of it.

4 Likes

Stress spelled backwards is dessert.
Bake the world a better place.

My Aunt has these two sayings in her kitchen.

Life’s to short to drink lousy coffee.
Would be mine…

1 Like

“Life’s too short to stuff a mushroom” ( refrigerator magnet from a skinny non-cook friend)
“Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels” (same friend above)

“Prozac Schmozac - haven’t these people ever heard of a martini?” (on our bar refrigerator)

1 Like

The “lousy coffee” insight reminds us of an old friend who serves top shelf whiskey at home and when hosting in a restaurant always chooses something fabulous from the wine list. He always deflects protests about the extravagance with: “I can’t drink enough to be poor.”

1 Like

Ha!

I think you meant “stressed spelled backwards is desserts”.

That is, unless it was a joke I missed, which is certainly possible, what with all the stress these days.

1 Like

You are correct.

To Get to Know a Cuisine, Get to Know Some Grandmas.

Just saw this saying today. True.

1 Like

About not trusting a skinny cook, I think maybe not quite correct. Think of the imaginary isolated town where only two people know how to cut hair - when you need a haircut, you want to go to the one who has a bad haircut himself. :slight_smile:

Maybe don’t trust a cook who has a skinny family.

Unless skinny people are just not to be trusted in general, which I guess might not surprise me :grin:

re not trusting a skinny cook, a favorite tiny restaurant in Paris served outrageously outre food, the kind of plates where I’d try my best to divine what and how I was eating. I called it “herb and acid” food, with wild and wonderful combinations of fresh herbs and citrus, wine or vinegars. I read a blog comment where a diner said that he was gobsmacked by the lack of fats in this food until he noticed the chef who was rail thin. For him, a problem, while I was entranced by his sense of taste and adventure.