Santa Barbara, Cambria suggestions?

I’ll be visiting the west coast next month, and wondered if there are any suggestions for Santa Barbara and Cambria. I have looked at previous posts for SB, and found a few things (tapas place looks excellent, Indian looks possible). My brother and his girlfriend live there, and I’m sure they have some definite ideas, but it would be nice to surprise them by taking them somewhere really good that they might not try on their own. Nothing stuffy, but I’d like comfortable and great food if possible The Cambria night I’ll be on my own - perfectly happy with carry out that I can eat on my little patio looking at the ocean, if you have an idea of a place like that. Thanks very much in advance!

2 Likes

Barbareno is pretty damn good in Santa Barbara.
The Lark is a staple and everyone can find something they like there.
The Blue Owl has amazing Bahn Mi- style sandwhiches.
Flor De Maiz is great for upscale Oaxacan food + mezcal/tequila forward cocktails.
Nortons for an amazing pastrami sandwhich during lunch.
Santo Mezcal another upscale mexican spot

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun trip. We were recently in Cambria for a long weekend. Places we liked were:

Linn’s: touristy but we really enjoyed the food - incredibly fresh produce in my salad.

Medusa’s for Mexican food. It was a random choice (we were crabby and hungry), and the food was great, and the people were super nice.

French Corner Bakery - we liked it so much we went twice for pastries, and I’'m definitely not a sweets person.

Harmony Valley Creamery - Harmony is a little bit south of Cambria. It’s tiny, but the Creamery has wonderful ice cream in a truck, and it’s a nice place to walk around.

2 Likes

There is also Harmony Cellars.
If you are in Cambria on a Friday they have a great farmers market. We made a meal of bread, cheese, wine and fruit.

3 Likes

Thanks so much goodfoodgoodmood - this is an amazing list.

1 Like

Thanks so much TheLibrarian28 - I didn’t think I’d get any info on Cambria. This is extremely useful.

1 Like

That sounds great. Unfortunately I’m there on a Sunday night. That would have been perfect.

I’d find time for a fish taco while you’re there.
I have a memory of having fish tacos on a courtyard patio, with hummingbirds flying around, when I visited Santa Barbara on my own in 2010.

1 Like

My brother makes excellent fish tacos! Very excited about seeing him, and having some of those tacos.

1 Like

People rave about the Sea Chest in Cambria. Oyster bar and fresh seafood. People usually line up prior to opening. Cash only. I have never been but its on our list for our next trip up to Cambria.

2 Likes

Wow, who knew Cambria had so much to offer?! Thanks for this info.