Sandwiches on house made bread?

Yes, it is 2:40am and I’m thinking about sandwiches.

I’m looking for recommendations of sandwich shops that make their own bread. My go to for this is Jane. Their “chicken shawarma” sandwich is one of my favorite things, and at $12 for real chicken thigh(?), homemade bread I think it’s a great deal.

Otherwise most places have the same selection of rolls that every other shop has.

I imagine some nice sit down places have a great $20 sandwich on the menu, but I am hoping for something in the regular takeaway price range.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Delirama in Berkeley bakes their own rye bread, NY-style, soft with a nice crust. The “junior” size (house-made) pastrami sandwich at 3oz is $11.50, the regular at 6oz is $18.

3 Likes

I agree. Their rye bread is sensational!

I dont know if it was housemade . Molinari on Columbus in the city . I would take a roll from the barell handing it to my server when my number was called . Head cheese with a swipe of mustard and olive oil please.

3 Likes

Ah I keep forgetting about this place. Not exactly what I had in mind… Bahn mi’s feel like a separate world and the bread is at the very least different from what you get at a standard shop. Though I’m mildly opposed to fancy bahn mi, I do want to give it a try.

I would like a sandwich on focaccia, which even if they don’t make, is totally what I’m looking for.

There’s always the old-standby, obvious choices like Tartine and Boudin.

ThoroughBread might be another good choice for you, which has a chicken melt on housemade focaccia.

https://www.thoroughbreadandpastry.com/menu

1 Like

I like fancy banh mi (in Toronto) a lot.

I didn’t enjoy my first cheap authentic banh mi, at a spot that had been recommended on Chowhound over and over again, to the point where I threw out most of it. I didn’t try banh mi again for about a decade, until someone in my neighborhood recommended a Vietnamese coffee shop for coffee, and I decided to try their banh mi.

It’s the fancier banh mi that converted me to enjoying banh mi, including less fancy ones.

1 Like

Mezzo in Berkeley does your classic meats/cheeses/vegetarian sandwiches on its house-made bread, including the honey wheat it’s been famous for since the early days of its previous incarnation, Intermezzo, and focaccia.

1 Like

Mario’s Bohemian Cafe does their hot sandwiches on Liguria focaccia. About 10-ish different sandwiches.

3 Likes

You and Pheonika have a lot in common.

1 Like