[San Francisco, North Beach] The Italian Homemade Company

The Italian Homemade Company serves pasta, sandwiches, and salads in North Beach. They also have a location in Cow Hollow. It’s a somewhat small space. There are a few tables and also counter by the window if you want to eat in. Counter service - you order at the counter and get a number. Food is served on paper plates and you get your own utensils and bus your table.

This was my first time here. For the pasta section, you order by selecting a type of pasta, and then a sauce option. I believe they are all made in-house. Their pasta is pretty reasonably priced by SF standards - $9 to $13 for the pasta and another $1.50 to $3 for the sauce.

I had the pappardelle ($9) with bolognese sauce and 2 meatballs ($3). The pappardelle was excellent. Flat wide sheets of pasta that were thin, firm, and with a nice resilient chew. Nothing stuck together. The sauce had good tomato flavor but a little on the watery side and could have used a touch more salt I think. The meatballs were pretty good, a little dense. Good value with a large portion for the price. Definitely coming back to try some of their other pasta and sauce combinations - the gnocchi with pesto sauce I saw on some other tables looked particularly good.

I also had a half order of the piadina ($1), which is a thin flatbread. Drizzled with olive oil, this was good as well. It kind of tasted like a toasted flour tortilla.

Pictures:

5 Likes

I think they’re opening a branch in Hayes Valley.

Interesting - with the recently opened a Mano also in the neighborhood, there will be a wealth of somewhat affordable house made pasta restaurants in Hayes Valley.

I sincerely wish them buona fortuna, however I went into their first location shortly after they opened and was astonished to pay $14 for a pound of fresh pasta. Not filled, just simple strozza preti. The cooked stuff seems pretty reasonable, but no way am I paying more for raw pasta than pastured pork chops.

1 Like

Wow, that is quite expensive for pasta. I actually don’t remember seeing much if any signage advertising fresh pasta to go, maybe they are focusing on the cooked dishes.

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Fish market.
Credit: Ramesh SA, Flickr