[San Francisco] Molinari - what's your order?

There’s a certain joy I feel when entering this spot, limitless options, memories and traditions, and I’m getting ready for a return.

I usually just opt for something simple like salami, provolone, EVO and pepper relish on a roll. Hard not to leave with a bundle of sausages, or more obviously.

Molinari Delicatessen
373 Columbus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133

4 Likes

Molinari Special with provolone, add roasted red peppers, on a hard roll - the one that cuts the roof of your mouth when you bite into it - it’s the only bread that holds up to the mass of ingredients. They did away with the grab your own roll system during the pandemic so make sure you get the right one when they ask.

1 Like

Solid. I love that roll too. Dousing it with olive oil on the inside does the trick for me!

1 Like

X3 for the Molinari Special Italian Combo with Pepperoncini (wish they had chopped cherry peppers) and Italian Vinaigrette. All the veggies, Mustard and Mayo always seems odd to me on a Italian Sandwich ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

I can see the appeal of the special cuz that mortadella and those spicier capicolas and prosciuttos type meats are pretty tasty too - i think that special’s got a little of everything?

Have any of you ladies or gents ever picked up one of the veal or eggplant cutlet sandwiches there? I haven’t had anything bad there. I’m thinking possibly a good vehicle for the mozzarella they have which i have enjoyed. And as @brisket44 notes, that roll can easily handle some gravy etc too.

I’m also thinking about being the guy to buy an entire salami next time and the guy that walks around north beach and chinatown with his wife, two kids and a salami.

1 Like

Someone else handled the provisioning after picking up several bundles of Liguria foccacia across the street. Of course, the heavy lifter made all the Molinari choices. So we made our own combinations from whatever arrived.

3 Likes

Love this place . Head cheese on a roll with mustard.

4 Likes

Molinari’s is where I first discovered my favorite fancy canned tuna – the Portuguese AS do MAR. It’s a fun place to look around in and pick up provisions, but if I’m going to have one sandwich in North Beach, it’ll have to be the hot meatball on Liguria focaccia served at Mario’s Bohemian Cigar Store. Not that there’s anything wrong with Molinari’s sandwiches.

2 Likes

I don’t have a “go to” order here because I’ve only been once, but I quite enjoyed my Luciano Special a little while back, which has proscuitto, coppa, fresh mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, onions, and lettuce. It’s usually on grilled focaccia (from Liguria Bakery I believe) but they had run out that day so I had it on ciabatta.

PXL_20210821_233726199.MP

2 Likes

Molinari Special with everything, added roast red peppers. At $14 all in this is a bargain for the massive quantity of high quality cured meats.

5 Likes