[San Francisco, Mission] Obispo

I went to the recently opened Obispo for a weeknight dinner. It’s on 24th Street steps from 24th Street Mission station. It’s a narrow restaurant with a few tables in front, a bar in the middle, and more tables in the back. They were pretty busy on a Wednesday night with all tables and bar seats occupied, so I just ate at the standing counter across from the bar. Obispo is from the owner of Bar Agricole and Trou Normand and has a focus on rum, with many rum based cocktails on the menu. The food menu has representatives from several rum producing countries, such as Cuba and Jamaica. They also have choripan and empanadas on the menu which I believe are from Argentina, so it’s kind of a mix of Caribbean and South American dishes.

I had the plate lunch ($20) in which you can choose one of the main dishes (minus the shrimp) and two of the side dishes. I had the Jamaican oxtail curry for the main, and for my side dishes I chose the macaroni salad and the congri, which is a mixture of beans and rice similar to the dish moros y cristianos.

Everything was very good. The oxtails were very tender and were in a slightly thickened beefy sauce that had a hint of coconut and some nice spicing. It came with some potatoes. The congri was very flavorful and had a few bits of crispy browned carnitas like pork mixed in. The macaroni salad had some peas in it and was fine. Chilled and lightly sauced. Along with the pickles it was a nice accompaniment to the rich stew and beans and rice.

Had a couple well made cocktails as well - a National (Demerara rum, apricot brandy, pineapple juice, lime juice) which was basically a Hotel Nacional, and an Obispo de Cuba (Jamaican rum, red wine, lime juice).

I’m happy that there’s another good cocktail bar within stumbling distance of 24th Street station. Will definitely be back to try some more things.

Pictures:

6 Likes

i’m dying to try this place!

We went this past weekend, mostly for drinks. The standard mojito is well made and not too sweet. A friend ordered the ti’ punch, which is appropriately dry and full of in-your-face rhum agricole flavor.

They also have a menu with about 20 sipping rums on it that they’ll provide on request. About a third of the rums are extra-aged and $30/pour.

2 Likes

Me too! I had never heard of it, so I’m grateful for the review.

1 Like

@mariacarmen’s review!

https://missionlocal.org/2019/03/obispo-caribbean-rum-palace-in-the-mission/

2 Likes

Went back to Obispo recently. Had the maduros and a couple of the potato empanadas.

Both were quite good. The maduros (plantains, $9) were soft and caramelized. I think there was some brown sugar involved. They were served with a sour cream/crema which added a salty rich milky contrast to the sweet plantains. A simple and satisfying dish.

The smallish empanadas ($4 each) had a nice flaky crust and a nicely spiced potato filling. They were sauced with a bit of chimichurri.

Also had a Mojito Criollo #1 (white rum, mint, sugar, lime, bitters - the classic mojito recipe), which was good.

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

damn, your pics are SO MUCH BETTER than mine! what are you using, please??

i haven’t tried the maduros yet, but if they’re using the super ripe plantains (as they should be, the ones that super soft and almost completely black outside), they should be super sweet on their own, and almost jelly-like. i’ll try them next time

1 Like

I’m using a Pixel 3 phone, sometimes with the night sight mode which works pretty well in dark rooms.