[San Francisco, Mission] Alma Cocina

I went to Alma Cocina, a recently opened Latin American/Peruvian restaurant in the Mission, on a weekend for a late lunch. It’s across from the original Philz on 24th and Folsom in the space that used to house La Parilla Grill, which I hadn’t gotten to try before they closed.

I had the pollo a la brasa (half a chicken, $15), which comes with your choice of two sides. I chose the arroz chaufa and sautéed vegetables with herbs for the sides.

I liked the chicken. It had a somewhat crispy skin that was nicely flavored. Moist and tender meat that was also flavorful, although the white meat could have maybe been a touch more tender. It was served with a Peruvian style yellowish creamy aji sauce and a chimichurri, both of which were good.

The sides that I came with it were quite large. Vegetables were nicely cooked and included carrots, cauliflower, and red onion, and I could taste that they were sautéed in a good amount of butter with some herbs. The arroz chaufa (Peruvian style fried rice) was a decent egg fried rice, with some crispy fried strips on top.

Very good deal for $15. I was stuffed.

Arroz Chaufa, Sautéed Vegetables, Half Chicken

Aji and Chimichurri sauces

Menu

2 Likes