Samba - Montclair

We had an excellent dinner at Samba in Montclair. This is a very tiny little Brazilian restaurant. We started off with a couple of amazing appetizers. The first was crispy fried yucca (which are better than french fries) and homemade Brazilian pork sausage, with sauteed onions. The sausage had a nice snap to it, & the yucca was crispy on the outside, and creamy on the inside.
yucca%20and%20sausage%202
Next we had the most amazing duck sliders, with caramelized onions and Gorgonzola cheese on a homemade gluten free Pao De Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread). The bread perfectly soaked up the sauce. This just moved up into my top 5 appetizers. The whole combination was a match made in heaven :yum: My pictures didn’t come out that well. The 3rd picture is from Samba.
duck%20sliders%201
duck%20slider%202

For entrees we both got a really fresh special of wild caught red snapper, with leeks risotto, crispy kalamata olives, & white truffle oil. The leeks risotto went perfectly with the snapper, and was better than most risottos that I’ve had in Italian restaurants.
snapper%201

We normally order the incredible stuffed acorn squash with creamy butternut squash, shrimp, herbs, & Parmesan cheese. Mrs P has made this at home & it is awesome. Below is a picture from Samba.
stuffed%20acorn%20squash
Another great dish that I have had in the past is called Feijoada, which is the Brazilian National dish. It is a 24 hour slow cooked cassoulet that contains black bean stew, pork sausage, pork ribs on the bone, bacon, and dried beef. It is a nice hearty dish that is perfect for a cold winter evening. Below is a picture from Samba.
feijoada

4 Likes

Happy to hear that Samba is still on its game! That was always a good spot, although I haven’t been there since moving from NNJ.

2 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Samba. I had the hearty Feijoada (described in a previous post). It came with side dishes of awesome crispy collard greens sauteed with garlic, fresh orange slices, black beans, farofa, and a spicy vinaigrette. It went perfectly with a Domaine De L’Harmas Chateauneuf Du Pape. Mrs. P had an entree of Mahi Mahi and shrimp with coconut milk, cilantro, tomatoes, and Dende palm oil with yuca flour puree. For appetizers we had the always excellent crispy fried yuca with Brazilian pork sausage and sauteed onions. We also had crispy fried yuca pastries stuffed with dried beef and butternut squash.

2 Likes