Salsas…

I make a bunch of them (fresh/roasted, tomato/tomatillo. dry/fresh chiles, etc.), but my fav when I can actually get sweet, ripe, fresh tomatoes is totally fresh with diced tomatoes/white onion/cilantro/jalapeno/garlic/lime juice. Great with chips, tacos, tostadas, and in guac.

So what is your favorite salsa, and where/how do you use it?

1 Like

I make a lazy pantry salsa that is a big hit every time I serve it - just a can of diced tomatoes (lightly drained), finely chopped yellow onion, garlic, cilantro and pickled jalapenos (more or less dependoling on how much heat you like). Whiz all together in a food processor just enough to break up the tomatoes a bit (if you are really lazy, chop the onions and garlic in the fp first, then add cilantro and jalapenos and chop more, then add tomatoes and give it one more whirl). Adjust with salt and jalapeno brine, add a pinch of cumin if desired. More than the sum of its parts for sure.

3 Likes

@ScottinPollock I like your fav kind of fresh salsa - they often call that pico de gallo down these ways. Sometimes I add fresh diced pineapple. The other I use a lot is thinly sliced red onions pickled in lime juice, then add a mess of thinly sliced habaneros, seeds and all. It’s about 50/50 with the peppers and onions. I also really enjoy a spicy salsa verde but I’m better at eating it than making it.

1 Like

No matter how I make my salsa, or with what ingredients, I make sure to let it rest in the fridge for at least 5 hours, if not overnight.

1 Like

For the last couple of years, I’ve made salsa from purloined tomatoes. There are lots of paste (Roma) tomatoes grown in my area, and even after the field has been harvested, there are a lot of tomatoes left, so I take a big bucket to gather up about 10 pounds at a time. Add four pounds of mixed peppers (jalapeños, Serranos, and poblanos, usually), a couple pounds of onions, a couple heads of garlic, a handful or two of cilantro, some vinegar and some salt and you’re golden. Broil the veg until everything is getting spotty black, buzz in the food processor to your desired consistency, then bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars and process in a BWB for 10 minutes. I swear stolen tomatoes make it taste better!

2 Likes

@chienrouge Wow you like hot!

As for Verdes, here are two I like a lot:

A roasted one…
https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/roasted-tomatillo-salsa/

And a lightly cooked one (but I prefer EVOO to the oils mentioned)…

2 Likes

Thanks for that. A pal of mine swears by ricks book.

I like verde with mostly chili and less tomatillo which is a bit sour for me. I can always adjust !

Also I love a nice ranchero sauce on my eggs in Mexico haven’t found a way to replicate that here. Maybe you know that ?

1 Like

Gracias !

For me, the secret to huevos rancheros is chicken stock. (c;

Pati’s recipe is almost exactly what I do, but I use fresh vine ripened (the riper the better) tomatoes instead of roasted romas.

Never done it totally her way so it may be great, I just prefer the texture and juiciness of the vine ripened.

1 Like