Sake @ LCBO

What are your favourite picks?

I’ve created similar threads on Chowhound which I found extremely helpful.

Are you the hound I recommended Masumi Type-1 to on CH? The LCBO has been having trouble getting sakes in for years. At one point I went to my usual store and it looked like someone raided all the sakes (and then there were none to be found except for Ontario Spring Sake Co). Gladly, they seem to be slowly filtering back in. For one that you can get at the non-speciality stores, try Okunomatsu’s Adatara Ginjo.

I am no connoisseur of sake so enjoy the Ontario sake company offering such as nama nama both pasteurized (easily available at many LCBO) and unpasteurized (only at store though can be shipped in Ontario) a lot.
A friend who has been enjoying sake for a while highly recommended this

I saw it a few times at the flagship store at summerhill though now it seems to be not in inventory.

Yes you did! If I replied on CH then I never kept notes, so I don’t recall if I liked it or not. Thanks I will try the Okunomatsu.

Thanks Elvis!

I see LCBO has more availability right now. Any standouts in the $30-$45 range?

Like Elvisahmed, I too am an Izumi (Ontario Spring Water Sake) fan. I only purchase direct from them.
You get much better selection and the LCBO doesn’t get a slice. Their shipping rates are beyond reasonable.

Oh, and if you’re wondering about the quality of their non-sake offerings, my experience has been quite good. I’ve enjoyed the Shio Koji marinade, Miso Soup, Sakeware, even their soap.

Just in the LCBO is Kokki Beige JD. This is a crowd pleaser at an amazing price point of $28. Wide availability but don’t expect that to last.

Thanks picked up 3 bottles (gifted 1). Opened it this weekend. Wonderful nose, but I confess it left me wanting more off the palate. What that more is I don’t know. Please don’t let my commentary discourage further recommendations.

Actually, that’s what I thought about another one that’s available now: Shizuka JG which was $36. The nose was better and more complex than the Kokki but the taste was disappointing (and why I didn’t recommend it). Almost too much like a genshu. I might buy another bottle and see how it presents when it’s warmed up.

There are two really interesting blends from one of my favourite Japanese breweries: Hitachino. There’s Kiuchi Awashizuke (light blue) and the Hops version (pink) sparking sake. These are available only at the east asian speciality LCBOs but worth seeking out. And now that I’ve stocked up, I’ll say they’ll disappear from shelves very soon.

2 Likes