Saint John [New Orleans, Lousiana]

Self described as “haute creole” Saint John is a new (opened late 2021) restaurant in the Frenchman Street area, just outside the French Quarter. The restaurant is modern and airy with New Orleans themed folk art on the walls and lots of seating options depending on your desires, elevated booths, tables, a bar and a long marble counter you can eat at if you want to watch the chefs.
Ancho Parish cocktail with aged rum, ancho chile liquor, lime and pineapple was strong and well balanced. Baked deviled blue crab was a nice starter, delicate and sweet crab. Hot crawfish remoulade over fried green tomatoes and okra chow chow was rich and delicious. Caesar salad was fine, nothing special. Chef special gulf fish was red drum with grilled gulf shrimp over grits mixed with fresh corn. Fish was expertly cooked with crispy skin and moist flesh. The sauce was a spicy kind of new orleans style barbeque sauce that was a bit too sweet.
No desert because we had $1 oyster happy hour at Luke earlier and N.O. food is rich and portions are large.
Luke has a great happy hour everyday from 3-6, $1 half shell oysters, $2 fried oysters and half off all cocktails which are well made. And of course you can take a cocktail to go - bartender encouraged me to take a double for my walk back to the hotel, but 3 strong cocktails before 5:00 would have knocked me out so just a single to go.

9 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I have a reservation for Saint John in a couple weeks, will report back.

2 Likes