Sababa Hot Pita Bar by AQ/TBD folks opens in former Paladar space [SF]

When the popular Cuban restaurant Paladar closed on Kearny St., I noticed that the liquor license had been transferred to the original owner of Million Thai on Van Ness, and speculated (on the other board) that it would become a Thai restaurant.

That plan apparently fell through, and it is now Sababa, a fast casual pita bar whose manager/chef is Guy Eshel, a native Israeli who formerly cooked for AQ.

Eater had an article on Sababa before it even had a space:

AQ/TBD Team Going Fast-Casual with Sababa, A New Falafel Concept

There are already several Yelp reviews

It’s at 329 Kearny St., in the block I once speculated might be the most culinarily diverse block in all of San Francisco.

1 Like

I’m hoping this place is the real deal because SF deserves somewhere that can make a legit version of sabich. (The blissful insanity of Sabich Frishman in Tel Aviv is a bit of a schlep.)

Edit: among the glowing Yelp reviews, zero mention the sabich. Not terribly encouraging but I suppose it might just be that the shills figure they need to play up hummus and falafel. The menu only says “Sabik - fried eggplant, 300 minute egg.” Does the sabich in pita come with amba and zchug per the standard way of making it? (Fried potato would be a bonus.)

1 Like

I tried it! It was the real deal! I’ve been to Israel and this compares to the kind you would get there. It was fabulous!

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr