Russell and Bette's Rumson

I’m speechless—and if you know me, that’s rare.

2 Likes

Don’t regret it. Places that provide poor or no service should be called out. That’s what this site is for. Places with employees who attack customers rather than serve them should be avoided. Thanks for the heads-up!

2 Likes

If I did this at work I would be fired in a second.

The funny thing is that I never said anything truly harsh in my eyes. I said WYB had a formula that worked and locals liked it. They went and changed the formula. I personally liked the old style…Different strokes for different folks. To go on and send me 8 rapid fire messages and call me a coward after I simply posed a question is not only unprofessional, it’s kind of disturbing! Furthermore, it’s 630 in the morning and the last thing I wanted was to argue about a restaurant that I don’t really care for lol.

Moving on…black swine looks interesting. Any recommendations on dishes?

3 Likes

Nice! You may have to join the “he men” group on a ribeye outting soon now that your in town

2 Likes

The specials at Black Swine are always stellar. The General Tso’s cauliflower is drool-worthy and I don’t care for cauliflower! People love their meatball appetizer and Sunday sauce. The zucchini blossoms are heavenly and often sell out. They used to have shrimp and grits on the menu but I don’t see it today. Any fish dish I’ve had has been spectacular. I don’t think you can go wrong anywhere on the menu. Check it out and let us know what you think!

2 Likes

I really hope this “manager” person is someone playing a prank not their actual business representation. That would be disgraceful.

I have not yet been to Russell and Bette’s but I cannot see myself going if this is how they handle things. Very unprofessional and distasteful. Shame. I really wanted to review them on my blog.

1 Like

Good point Greg, why don’t you give her a call and find out!!! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I actually just tried calling the restaurant. I know they aren’t open, but was hoping for someone to pick up. I do plan on trying to reach this place and find out what the deal is.

Maybe I will do a blog post about this PR fiasco. If someone is able to document in a chronological order this hysteria, I will post it and see that it reaches as many people as possible in Monmouth County.

2 Likes

Good luck with that. Just to give you some background, I believe it was on a thread regarding Langosta Lounge, in which the restaurant was being critiqued by many members for playing favorites with clients. (You can look up the thread) At some point Marilyn (the owner of both these restaurants) chimed into the conversation to try and “defend” herself and her brand. Long story short, after being confronted by numerous people who had less than pleasant experiences at her restaurants she left in a “huff” calling us all a bunch of insensitive jerks. (or something close to that)

It just seems they have the “it’s us vs. them” mentality and if you don’t drink the kool aid that Marilyn and her brand are the most innovative thing(s) since sliced bread, they have no use for you. It’s apparent to me by her and Jen’s behavior that Marilyn has clearly become a victim of her own success. If you read the other thread, and read this one, you will see a complete indifference to peoples experiences that weren’t pleasant. The problem is always with the customer and not the restaurant nor it’s employees. I probably asked Jen 3-4x’s here to address the customers concern about not being served, instead she private messaged several users calling them names and telling them to call her. (mind you at 6am) WTF??? Hahahahhahaha I still can’t help but laugh.

I’ll also be honest, I was a bit curious as to how sincere this could be since it’s just so bizarre, she gave us her name as Jen/Jennifer and her handle is Jdaly211 so I did a Facebook Search for Jennifer Daly Russel and Bettes and she came right up. It’s apparent she has been with Marilyn for several years, at many of her restaurants and I highly doubt given Marilyn previous attitude here that she will care in the least what Jen said or did. (my $ .02)

1 Like

Good to know. If I can find the time to scrounge up all the “evidence”, then I will do it.

My blog has never been overly negative, but neither is it a platform for puff pieces. This is something that deserves attention. If something comes of it, it is their own fault. All restaurants have to field complaints. Most visible responses online are generally positive, as they should be. I don’t care if you’re cursing me out in your head, but publicly the response should be positive. In this day and age with so many restaurants, negative press can kill you.

1 Like

I just went back and checked- it was on the “what’s your beef bigger changes thread” where all the magic took place. Seal went so far as to even sit down with Marilyn at her joint to express issues and it seemed all he got was excuses as to why it’s impossible to put further good service or make customers feel welcome. And the usual excuse that she’s “not an online person”. Good thing her manager is though!! Obviously none of Seal’s valid point have been taken to heart and implemented .
Also- I feel left out I got no 6AM invites…

8 Likes

Or 8, yes 8 pm’s like our man @corvette_johnny who seemed to attract all the love! Have you called her yet CJ? Maybe you should take her out, I can suggest a couple good places to go!!

1 Like

Just called the restaurant and asked for clarification on this matter and what this person’s deal is. They took my name and number and are going to have the owner call me. I’ll update you guys.

6 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team Greg!

2 Likes

If you’re as good looking and as in shape as I am, you have that kind of affect on women!

Hahahahaha! :smile:

1 Like

oh man you gave your number…hopefully you don’t get the CJ special…def going above and beyond. Hopefully we get some clarification as to WTF happened here…
I’m sure we’ll all be portrayed as cyberbullies over some poor innocent salt of the earth people (who def DO NOT smoke) just trying to do their best in this crazy world…

2 Likes

All I am looking for is an explanation from them (if they respond at all).

1 Like

This is striking me as utterly pointless. The proprietor obviously doesn’t care, at least about us. I know no restaurateur in today’s world who does not care about and nurture their online presence - or at least have someone who does it for them. The good ones read EVERYTHING.

And you never get satisfaction dealing with someone with no sense of reality or what their job actually is. Someone needs a career change.

Anyone have an opinion on whether or not R&B’s is hitting their numbers?

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge which I will admit is limited, there are no numbers to hit.