Royal Feast, Wonderful [Millbrae]

My first return to Royal Feast since a Chowdown. To get the negative out of the way: the fish maw and crabmeat was not as ethereal as on my previous visit, and we left half of it (staying in a hotel, so hard to deal with leftovers). But all the other dishes were good: fish fillet and eggplant clay pot, quick-fried cabbage, dry-fried string beans. It was a Tuesday night, and pretty quiet.

I was impressed with Wonderful. We arrived on a Wednesday night at about 6:30pm, and had a wait of maybe twenty minutes. The place is small, with a glassed-in open kitchen. The food was good, though the roujiamo was just okay (not their main focus, I know). House smoked pork with bamboo shoots was much better (though salty), and eggplant and string beans tasted even better than it looked. Most impressive was the waitstaff. I’m more used to indifferent, remote service at Asian places. All of the staff were seriously hustling about throughout, and they kept doing things without our asking (filling water glasses quickly, providing extra napkins, and a knife to split the roujiamo). They were actually pleasant and helpful! Amazing. If I lived in the area, I’d be a regular, but I’d probably come earlier to avoid the queue.

3 Likes

I had a quick lunch there a few weeks ago. We got there just before 2PM and was took that we need to be done by 2:30 since they closed then.

So I order a few quick dishes.

Our cold dish was Couple’s Delight which is beef tendon and shank meat. Just spicy enough by not overpowering.

Madam Sun soup which is light a hot and sour soup with fish without the heat.

Kung Pao Chicken which I really liked a simple stir fry.

Lastly Dan Dan noodle.

Simple quick lunch. I did speak to the chef and told him I would be back later for a dinner with some of his off the menu dishes.

1 Like

Ah, I forgot, we had the fu qi fei pian also. I quite like Royal Feast’s version, which is not as heavy as some I’ve had. It works well as an appetizer.