Row over restaurant ‘wealth screening’ boils over in French resort of St-Tropez

I can totally see this happening.

2 Likes

well, that sorta’ destructs the European ‘no tip’ model . . .

1 Like

Oh my. Appreciate that you brought this to our attention though. :cry:

1 Like

There is no European “no tip” model and never has been. We are a continent of some 45 separate countries, all with their own customs, including those about tipping in restaurants.

FWIW, I have never tipped in France beyond any small “rounding up” that makes sense as, indeed, that country generally has a “no/low tip” culture.

Visits to Belgium used to be tricky - having to remember if I was in the French speaking area, where tips are no generally required, or the Dutch speaking area which followed Netherlands tipping culture, suggesting a small tip was customary.

2 Likes

A solution is a prix fixe menu (minimum spend that tamps down the restaurant’s anxiety) laden with pricey “supplements” (for those who think a big check gets them a table next time).

1 Like

Agreed. Certainly the cost of fixed price tasting menus at some UK high end restaurants means I would no longer consider eating there. Simply not value for my money. But that’s nothing new - folk have always been priced out of eating at some restaurants. Even local neighbourhood places that I go to regularly are unaffordable for several members of my extended family.

1 Like