Rome pasta versus marlboro italian? ANything come even close?

Just came back from almost two weeks in Italy. Great to be there again, visiting my daughters who were both studying - one in Florence, other in Rome. Unfortunately, was there during Passover, so limited opportunity to eat. Did have, however, some absolutely incredible pasta in Rome, first day and last day - Osteria da Fortunata. Otherwise, having to stay somewhat “kosher for Passover” eliminated the opportunity for pasta or pizza… but did find some reasonably good food, given the circumstances.

Anyhow, from Marlboro - any good place for Italian - there are so many, so mediocre… want to have that pasta experience, or close to it, if possible.
Thanks.

2 Likes

Sorry @rikk but the only time I’ve had pasta locally that came close to Italy was at @MsBean s house. Maybe she could teach you her secrets. :wink:

Via45 in Red Bank and Semolina in Red Bank are the only two local places where I would eat pasta for my main dish, although it’s hard to resist the pork chop at Semolina.

1 Like

If you find one, let me know. Nothing wrong with Italian-American red sauce joints, and I enjoy them but for a real Italian Italian place I really haven’t found one. Our daughter did the same in Rome, and there is nothing here that compares. I don’t think it is execution, so much as it is ingredients. For example, nobody that I know has guanciale di Norcia for a real carbonara, the produce over there is amazing, etc. (not sure if carbonara is up your alley, with the religious eating anyway).

Have you tried Due Mari in New Brunswick? Michael White place, does a real good job and right now is my favorite Italian in NJ. Judging by his instagram he doesn’t spend a lot of time here, but the pastas are homemade.

ETA, Katie Parla, the Rome based writer/food person raves about Razza in Jersey City for pizza and says it’s better than over there. So there’s that.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing pasta!

1 Like

For what it’s worth in my opinion Solo Trattoria in Freehold is a fine option.
George has been around close to 20 years in this location.
I have stayed at his family’s hotel in Priano Italy on the Amalfi Coast and the food in the Freehold restaurant is comparable to the hotels.
The water is different the produce is different but I do enjoy my meals in Freehold.
It’s byo so go on Tuesday night it’s half price pasta night and enjoy.

1 Like

Anytime!!

CAREFUL… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m never careful and am always up for pasta.

1 Like

If you want to try authentic Cacio e Pepe, go to Anjelicas in Sea Bright. They make an excellent authentic version. Also, Semolina is doing an unbelievable pesto pasta now- outstanding!!

1 Like