Rome, Florence, Chianti and Sienna

Spending overnight in Rome, and searched for sandwiches to eat in our hotel near the Roman Forum.

This place was good
Fuorinorma
06 487 5305

https://g.co/kgs/GQSHcb
I had the #16 porchetta with tuna juice. Very nice;

This one not so much

Mi’Ndujo - Monti
+39 342 659 6917

6 Likes

Osteria Tripperia il Magazzino
Menu

Fried Tripe with spicy sauce-yum! There’s tasty bread in the paper bag.

A short pasta carbonara with asparagus

Charcuterie plate

A long pasta with a white veal sauce. It was last night, wi fi is glitchy, and I’m already forgetting, but it was good and I appreciate the recommendation.

This morning I took dozens of pictures at the Mercato Centrale (?) in Florence. Amazing place !
Here’s some. More later.

And arrived at the Relais Villa Olma in Impruneta for cocktails and lunch this afternoon

Cooking class in San Gimignano tommorow.

Buona notte!

8 Likes

Cooking class! Near Impruneta, in Chianti; San Gimignano. The winery Tenuta Torciano.

10 Likes

Taverna di San Giuseppe, our first night in Siena. I wish I had more words, but the wiFi is slow , and I keep losing things.
One of these is a bruschetta with pear, a blue cheese, and another cheese.
The other pastry had ricotta and truffles. Lots of truffles.
Last pic is wild boar ragu. We are having a lot of wild boar ragu.

Best gelato so far! I had some pistachio and some salted caramel.

8 Likes

What all did you cook?

For the most part we made the pasta dish in the picture after the pasta sheet. We helped with the “filet”, but the kitchen finished it.

1 Like

Today we looked at a winery that grew San Gimignano grapes for wine and olives for olive oil.

We collected eggs, picked herbs, fed goats, chickens, donkeys and a cow, then tasted five wines, had amazing ham, and lasagna.

10 Likes

Aw, man. Looks like you’re making the most of it. I was lucky enough to visit Tuscany 3 times - a HS graduation trip in '90, a trip with my PIC and his college buddies in '01, and visiting friends in Lucca in '18, but I’d go back in a shot!

It’s such a beautiful area with some incredible food :star_struck:

1 Like

Lovely and amazing photos. It is so great to see those views of the countryside. and the basket of fresh herbs.

1 Like

Yes! So much beautiful food, landscape, and architecture.

Florentine steak. Well done is “not possible”!

13 Likes

That meat in the first photo (with the oranges) looks like something out of a dream.

1 Like

The train from Florence to Rome took about three hours longer than it was supposed to but it was filled by another wonderful recommendation for our first real night in Rome

At Trattoria Monti

An extensive wine list by region! (Does it sound like I know what I am talking about? :roll_eyes:

Onion flan with gorgonzola sauce

Salt cod Carpachio; I am definitely putting this in my salt cod file.

Thin pasta with anchovies, raisins, pine nuts. Not as balanced as I’d have liked, but tasty.

Ravioli with potatoes and guanciale - tasty but a bit heavy.
Stuffed rabbit - very nice!

12 Likes

all looks delish! I hope you really liked that flan - when we went there mine never arrived.
By the way what regional wine did you wind up with?

2 Likes

I did like the flan! It wasn’t the smoothe texture I was expecting, but I enjoyed the almost feathery texture, and the flavor was wonderful.

The white one.

I was sort of making a joke with that comment. In spite of the amount of time I spend in Napa, and all the time I have spent trying, I am not such a wine fan, and mostly during white wine :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:. My sister is into it though, and I tasted some of this one

3 Likes

Great photos . All looks delicious. When i got back from italy . I would drive to San Francisco searching for espresso. Never found any comparison. Was all over north beach . I loved going to the market to get the dinner plate size mortadella . The tripe in florence . So on and so on . Have fun . Your spoiled now .lol

1 Like

Wonder if it was sformato? (It was one of the DOTMs over on chowhound, and so delicious)

1 Like

We are back in Rome and yesterday I went on a “Walking food tour” in Campo de’ Fiori, Trastevere, and the Jewish Quarter. Guide plus six, including sister and me.

I somehow missed a picture of the white and the red Roman style pizza. Although I thought the sliced potatoes on white were a little under, I really appreciated the crisp crust.
Fried artichoke and suppli ( vs arancini) in the "Jewish Ghetto " I preferred the artichoke, but most in the group preferred the supplice.

Tonnarelli ( vs. puci in Tuscany ,) Cacio Pepe - I don’t usually prefer pasta but I’ve been enjoying it here!

And the final mysteries to world class gelato revealed!

Last night I split orders of Roman style artichoke, stuffed zucchini pizza, Matrix pizza, and carbonara at Pizzeria Emma.

![PXL_20230507_181017578|525x700](upload://7ne28ZPdpl1qEOQY32YnA96YONv.

jpeg)

And always, there was wine ( as I think @LindaWhit frequently reminds us).

10 Likes

This is at least my fifth time in Italy, and I grow more spoiled ( I like to think "appreciative :grin:) each time! I have especially loved the Amalfi coast and the real Bellagio in Lake Como, but Sienna is my new favorite!

We leave Italy tommorow. :disappointed: Fortunately we will be departing from Rome, which is a madhouse where we’ve been, which will make it easier.

I don’t think the pictures even begin to capture it.

9 Likes

One place in Sienna we sort of stumbled on, intrigued by a sign on a road under construction might be worth a mention. Some reviews suggest it is popular for it’s views, but I think the food was good too.

Vivace

9 Likes

I’d be smiling like that happy cookie in the case with all of the other pastries and the food and the HISTORY! Stunning to have the ancient Pantheon in the midst of modern day Rome.

1 Like