Roma's Pizza in Westchester (Tuckahoe?)

understood. my buddy and one of his friends spoke about it like John’s on Bleeker quality. I may have to explain what good pizza is on the plate versus good pizza is in memory. I will go with an open mind and mouth. If not good I will suggest a detour to Fortina on the way home to show them how great it should be.

1 Like

That’s a pizza!

From the shape it looks like they are trying to do Roma style pizza. (Nothing to do with the Roma restaurant this thread started as.) But, looking at it, that sure ain’t no Roma style pizza. Sort of on the way, but not there yet.

Actually, on a closer look, the plain pie looks very close to a Roma style. Too bad the pizza didn’t taste that good.

I don’t understand

About what?

Gwenn-
How can you not like the look of that pizza,it looks very much like the stuff i used to make many years ago,starting with a chef boy-ar-dee pizza kit and then doctoring it. Which is one of the reasons I rarely try to make my own today. In a pinch though pita bread as a quicky crust does work If i saw the pizza pictured in a shop,I would not even try it!

1 Like

That looks nothing like Roma pizza

These look like Roma style… before I meant to say rectangular pies, not plain pies.

I’m still confused, but it’s not that important.
I actually thought about you when I was there
and laughed at the thought of what you might have to say about
the place…they need more than a consultant.

The one time I had Roma it was round… was it counterfeit?? :pensive:

There are many differences between Roman style pizzas, there are several style variations, but when I think of Roma style, it’s pizza al taglio, basically a bakery pizza. It tends to be a long rectangle. Not as thin as the super thin Neapolitan or as thick as Sicilian/Sfincione. The crust tends to be crunchy on the bottom, as you would expect from a pizza cooked with so much oil. And it is cooked at a lower temp. than Neapolitan. The dough tends to have olive oil and sugar added to the dough, and cooked either straight on the oven floor, or in oiled sheet pans. (Neapolitan has no oil or sugar in the dough.) The dough is what might be called a sourdough, made with a 3-4 day ferment. The rectangular or square slices are cut with a large pair of scissors when made in a bakery style. Typically in Rome it is sold by weight, not the piece. This is a pre-cooked pizza, sold as a slice/piece.

In a sit in pizza restaurant, or when ordered to take home, the pies are roundish, and thinner, but not as super thin as Neapolitan.

This is my viewpoint, and others may disagree.

That’s definitely before my time in the area. It certainly wasn’t worth any wait since I’ve been there.

1 Like